View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Sep 26, 2021 3:48 pm

Reply to topic  [ 1 post ] 
 1990~1994ish Vulcan 500 - Destroyed by delivery driver! 

Post 1990~1994ish Vulcan 500 - Destroyed by delivery driver!
I have a 1990 ish vulcan 500, that was previously used to haul heavy things and drive piss-poorly around Seoul, South Korea. If anyone ever saw a korean delivery driver, you probably understand how poorly my bike was treated before I got it! I'm not a performance whore, but I do like a bike that runs and runs and runs, and one that looks nice. This bike is currently not reliable (read my long-winded post under carbs/gas) and while it is getting the first cleaning of its 20 plus years on this planet, it is still far from looking nice.

This was a couple days after I brought it home. The Shinko on the back is quite amazing. I will use them when I return to the states. The fork seals would be replaced the following day.

The bird-shit looking weld spot, that would be from the cargo carrying apparatus that the delivery guy had on it. Not pretty.

I couldn't have a sky blue bike, so the parts come into the paint shop (also known as the living room) for some rattle can lacquer. It's not the greatest, but in pictures it's still not so great! LOL

Rattle can black (it is just between gloss and matte...i call it good enough when its clean) The new exhaust is custom, and shiny. It sounds nice, and seems to not affect performance.

A year after my black painting, I finally get a set of (super cheap) saddle bags. They lasted about a month before jumping off of the bike in traffic. I didn't go back for them. The bike also got new turn signals with the bags. The turn signals stayed on the bike. I guess they like it!

The exhaust started to get pretty rusty. It was just steel pipe that was painted chrome by my mechanic. It worked for a year, still sounded good, so it got some high-heat flat black. The paint I got was either crap, or exhaust paints don't work. A few days later it was already all chipped to crap. Maybe I need to change my paint-shop. It's a lot of fun painting in living rooms....

The belt decided to give up the ghost. I also replaced the rubber cushions in the rear wheel. I wish I had a garage, and not the public patio to work on.

I don't have a proper motorcycle stand here. I also don't have a center stand. I know its hard to see in the picture, but if it's 1am, and you have a park bench, about 12 yards of tv coaxial cable, and want to pound the swingarm pin out, it is totally possible.

Finally getting the dents in the gas tank fixed. My father-in-law knows an autobody shop that will paint it for me, for free! (not rattle can, and the paint will be baked! I'm excited about this one, and can't wait to have pics up of it!)

It looks glossy in the picture, but its the gray rattle can that I decided to use for my primer/base coat/protector while waiting to take it to the paint shop

Tomorrow I'll take more pictures of everything that has been polished, cleaned and otherwise improved upon. The bike doesn't even start or run right now and its worth more money than when I bought it!

I will post more pictures until the bike is finished, and hopefully when I get back to the states and get a Kaw for my wifes first bike (still up in the air as to what yet) I can leave more long winded posts about nothing at all!

If you can spare the time, I also added an overly ambitious amount of information in the carb/gas forum, trying to figure what went wrong and why I can't get the bike to start. If you can help, I'd appreciate it greatly!

-Josh_

Sun Sep 11, 2011 11:48 am
Reply to topic   [ 1 post ]