Ironbutt Ride this Weekend

Post here about where you have been and what you've done on your Vulcan 500 or other bike. Also this is a place to post invites for meetups. Pictures and GPS routes/tracks are encouraged!
bikerbill
I ride: 1997 Vulcan 500LTD named Hidalgo

Ironbutt Ride this Weekend

Postby bikerbill » Sat Sep 24, 2016 12:36 pm

Daniel and I will be riding Hidalgo 2-up on a Saddlesore 2000 attempt beginning this Thursday morning. This will be my longest Ironbutt Certification attempt since I began riding long distance. We plan to cover over 1,000 miles each day of this ride so we should also get two Saddlesore 1000 certificates as well. Three certs, One ride! I *like* it!

Follow our progress if you wish: spotwalla.com password: ss2000

Planned route Day 1:
Planned route Day 2:

Event info: IBA BIG-AS-TEXAS Party

Ride safe my friends.
--
'Biker' Bill
'97 EN500LTD 'Hidalgo'
269,000+ miles so far
VROC #3833
IBA #635

SlipStreamer Enterprise II, Vista Cruise,
Cobra Spots, Drifter solo seat,
Pro-Tac backrest, ScottOiler,
F&S luggage rack, LED lights,
4-gal AUX fuel tank

Triangles
Site Admin
I ride: '94 Black Cherry Vulcan 500, '06 Candyfire Red Vulcan 500 LTD

Re: Ironbutt Ride this Weekend

Postby Triangles » Mon Sep 26, 2016 10:05 pm

Good luck and have fun!! I'm jealous.
ImageImage

bikerbill

Postby bikerbill » Sat Oct 01, 2016 5:22 am

IT IS DONE!! 2,113 miles in less than 48 hours!! We're *very* tired.
--
'Biker' Bill
'97 EN500LTD 'Hidalgo'
269,000+ miles so far
VROC #3833
IBA #635

4-gal AUX fuel tank

bikerbill

Postby bikerbill » Sun Oct 02, 2016 6:02 pm

Daniel and I made it home safe. We were on the motorcycle for 3 1/2 days and covered a bit over 2,500 miles. It was a good trip.
--
'Biker' Bill
'97 EN500LTD 'Hidalgo'
269,000+ miles so far
VROC #3833
IBA #635

4-gal AUX fuel tank

bikerbill

Postby bikerbill » Tue Oct 11, 2016 9:16 pm

A couple of weeks ago I and my 12-year old son, Daniel, took a 2-up trip on Hidalgo, my trusty Vulcan 500, from near Levelland, TX to Allen, TX to attend the Ironbutt Association's 'Big As Texas Party'. This event is basically a 'Meet-n-Greet' with a Banquet with Presenters at the end of the event.

Among the various things to do during this event was to participate in an themed SaddleSore 1000 or BunBurner Gold 1500 organized ride (read that pre-planned ride, not a group ride) called World Capitols of Texas 1000. (WCT1000 for short.) You are to visit towns in Texas with the same name as capitols of other countries. Paris, Athens, Moscow..., you get the idea. There were two routes. One route was 1,000 miles and the other was 1,500 miles, either to be completed within 24 hours for a certificate. We chose the 1,000 mile route.

The distance from Levelland to Allen is less than 400 miles so our original plan was to leave about mid-morning then take a leisurely ride to Allen. Then, about two weeks before the event, it is announced that you can claim a Ride-In certificate to the event and have it presented to you by the President of the Ironbutt Association, Mike Kneebone, during the Awards Ceremony. Change of plans!! We're doin' a Ride-In!!

The new route to the event is as follows: Levelland-Van Horn-Tyler-Allen at about 1,040 miles for the first day. If we can also ride the WCT1000 and finish both rides within 48 hours we will have accomplished something i have not done before, a Saddlesore 2000!!

We left Levelland at 5:56am on Thursday morning to start our Ride-In Saddlesore. The day went well with a few slowdowns due to road construction. We finished 18 1/2 hours later at about 12:38am Friday morning. A bit tired but happy to have gotten the first half out of the way.

The next morning a Riders' meet is held to go over the rules of the WCT1000 then we're set loose at 6:05. After doing some maintenance on Hidalgo and preparing for the day Daniel and I finally left the hotel parking lot at about 6:40.

The day started out smoothly enough. Construction slowdowns continued throughout the morning and early afternoon. A traffic jam through Canton cost us a lot of time. Houston's TX-8 and San Antonio were slower than I wanted to be but tolerable in that there were no traffic stoppages. (aside from the occasional toll booth) We had made all our required stops at Paris, Athens, Moscow and the Vienna historical marker but our first 500 miles came at about 5:30! The pace today was brutally slow so to finish on time we will have to hustle for the next 500+ miles. Several miles of it is through 'Texas Hill Country' at night! Beware of Bambi!

It's over 250 miles to our next stop, London with a short side trip to China Grove. (It's not on the WCT tour but
Daniel wanted to see where it was.) London comes six hours later, which puts our finish time dangerously close to our 48 hour limit. We made Georgetown in good time then dashed up I35 to Allen to finish at 4:32am Saturday morning, over an hour left! We made it!!

Saturday was a rest day, we earned it. We visited with many other like-minded LD riders, all riding much larger machines. Daniel and I got recognition for our efforts at the Awards Ceremony, for riding Father/Son, Daniel's youth, and doing it all on a Vulcan 500!!

Sunday we rode home at a very leisurely pace, arriving home in the early evening. Tired but very satisfied.

WOW!! What a Ride!!
--
'Biker' Bill
'97 EN500LTD 'Hidalgo'
269,000+ miles so far
VROC #3833
IBA #635

4-gal AUX fuel tank