LTD or not?

General questions, information, and/or comments about the Vulcan 500. For specific questions, post them under the applicable topic.
proleetaryan
I ride: Red Vulcan 500

LTD or not?

Postby proleetaryan » Sat May 14, 2016 1:07 pm

Hey guys. I have a 1996 Vulcan 500 and I am needing to buy a manual for it, but have no way of discerning which type of vulcan it is. Do any of you know a way of discerning this?
I also have another problem, and this is why i need the manual in the first place, where fuel keeps flowing out of the carboretur into the airbox even when the throttle isnt engaged. I thought it was a stuch float but after cleaning the carb i am left with question marks. Any of you have this issue? As it stands, i am left assuming that there is something wrong with the vacuum on the bike and that the online ltd manual doesnt have the correct setup. It is my hope that i am doing something wrong and that there isnt something wrong with the bike.

Any input is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

bikerbill
I ride: 1997 Vulcan 500LTD named Hidalgo

Re: LTD or not?

Postby bikerbill » Sat May 14, 2016 8:46 pm

Welcome.

The 'C' model (aka LTD) has the speedometer on the fuel tank whereas the 'A' model has it on the handlebars. The 'spec tag' on the steering neck will have the designation on it also.

Regarding fuel leaking from the carburetor, does this happen while it is running or while it is being stored? If it happens during storage this is a known issue with this bike and storing it with the fuel cap open seems to prevent it from happening.

Regarding manuals I prefer the factory service manual over the Haynes/Clymer service manuals. The part number is 99924-1194-xx <-version number
--
'Biker' Bill
'97 EN500LTD 'Hidalgo'
269,000+ miles so far
VROC #3833
IBA #635

SlipStreamer Enterprise II, Vista Cruise,
Cobra Spots, Drifter solo seat,
Pro-Tac backrest, ScottOiler,
F&S luggage rack, LED lights,
4-gal AUX fuel tank

proleetaryan

Postby proleetaryan » Sun May 15, 2016 12:00 pm

Thank you very much. So i definitely have the ltd then. As for the leak. it leaks both when it is on and when it is off. When it is on it is less noticeable but definitely there. After a little over an hour of riding i try to start it after it being off for a bit and it acts like i flooded it. Currently i have to clamp off the fuel line just to get it to stop.

Jamie
I ride: 2003 Vulcan 500

Postby Jamie » Mon May 16, 2016 3:40 pm

Did you check to make sure the fuel petcock is in the On or RES position and not in PRI (prime)? In Prime position, the fuel is in a free flow with no flow control. It could easily overfill the carbs.

Triangles
Site Admin
I ride: '94 Black Cherry Vulcan 500, '06 Candyfire Red Vulcan 500 LTD

Postby Triangles » Tue May 17, 2016 8:15 am

You said you cleaned the carbs. That won't do anything to fix your problem. You need to replace the float needle valve. Then tweak it to make sure the fuel level is proper in the bowl. Either that or your float has sprung a leak and is no longer floating. A company called K&L makes a float valve kit. I don't know the part number of the top of my head. In the technical part of this forum look in the fuel section. I think this has been covered there.
ImageImage

proleetaryan

Postby proleetaryan » Sun May 22, 2016 2:27 pm

Thank you both very much. I ordered the manual that was suggested. Then ive ordered a carb kit, though i now realize that they only sell what are called 'economy carb kits.' Hopefully that includes the float needle triangle is talking about. Ima give this all a shot and get back to you guys. I really hope that I can get it all fixed up.

Triangles
Site Admin
I ride: '94 Black Cherry Vulcan 500, '06 Candyfire Red Vulcan 500 LTD

Postby Triangles » Wed May 25, 2016 3:20 pm

the float needle looks like this. Not an endorsement of the site just what I found first in google. I don't remember if the kit for our bikes includes a new brass seat or not. If it doesn't make sure there is no corrosion on the brass seat otherwise the new float needle will likely leak too. Also check your oil. The extra gas leaking in the carbs can go into the cylinders and wash past the pistons diluting your oil. As you can imagine gasoline does not lubricate like oil does... It might be cheap insurance to just change your oil after you've verified the carbs aren't leaking anymore.
ImageImage

Return to “General Discussion”