SEAT

Mods and upgrades that don’t fit any of the above topics such as, bars, seats, fenders, etc.
kawboyCAFE

SEAT

Postby kawboyCAFE » Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:57 am

hey guys. okay, does anyone know if the seat from some other bike will fit this bike. as long as the curve is right, i can make new mount tabs. someone told me that the vulcan 800 seat might fit on this. anyone know? i would love to get a mustang seat, but they only make them for the bigger vulcans. if anyone knows of a bike with a pretty close seat pan shape, please let me know. thank you.

Triangles
Site Admin
I ride: '94 Black Cherry Vulcan 500, '06 Candyfire Red Vulcan 500 LTD

Re: SEAT

Postby Triangles » Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:39 pm

most people just get their oem one redone. I'm investigating doing this myself and will keep you updated.
ImageImage

Jablonsky

Postby Jablonsky » Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:01 pm

Triangles wrote:most people just get their oem one redone. I'm investigating doing this myself and will keep you updated.

Are you planning to insert a gel pad? I was thinking about that, too. But most probably I will just buy an Airhawk cushion. Does not really look beautiful, but as I hear, it is the best and most comfortable solution to use on longer rides. CLICK
No hay banda. No hay Jablonsky. Todo está grabado. Nada es lo que parece, todo es una ilusión.

kawboyCAFE

Postby kawboyCAFE » Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:05 pm

i have tried different cushions, even a pillow, nothing compares to a mustang seat to me.i had one on my vstar and it was great. rode 26,000 miles on it with no complaints. there has to be a bike out there that they make one for that i can retro fit it from. let me know if anyone finds one. PLEASE.

burkbuilds

Postby burkbuilds » Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:26 pm

Those Mustang seats look really comfortable, and they sit really comfortable, at least in the showroom, I've never gotten to ride one. Like you, I've had trouble finding aftermarket seats for the 500, so I've just decided to see what I can do myself. So far the comfort factor on my mods is greatly improved, but there's still plenty of room for that to get even better. Mainly, I'm a little disappointed in the "looks" department of my mods, but I'm going to try making my own seat pan and installing a keyed release for the seat at the same time. I was hoping to do it over Spring break, but more urgent things came my way and I didn't have the time. Maybe before the Summer is over I'll get a chance to do the new mod.

I don't know the answer to your question about other seats fitting the 500 with just some bracket modifications. If they would do that, then it seams like a Mustang seat made for another bike could then be modified to fit, but I have no idea.

kawboyCAFE

Postby kawboyCAFE » Fri Mar 26, 2010 7:44 am

i may have found the answer to our problems guys. i put the seat off of a 2008 honda shadow spirit on my bike, and it was a direct fit, believe it or not. i am going to buy a mustang seat for a shadow, and then mount it on my bike. i will keep you guys posted. and i will take pix after.

burkbuilds

Postby burkbuilds » Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:51 pm

That sounds great. Which Shadow Spirit fits, the 750 or 1100 or what? Those seats are really comfortable, good luck with yours! :D

kawboyCAFE

Postby kawboyCAFE » Sat Mar 27, 2010 3:02 am

the seat i checked it with was off a 2008 shadow spirit 750. and it was a direct fit. i will post ya'll some pix when i get it mounted. i will also put a thread of it in the HOW-TO section. this is going to be awesome. i love mustang seats. the one i had on my vstar was great. i put many miles on that one.

Jablonsky

Postby Jablonsky » Sat Mar 27, 2010 3:28 am

Which model of the seat did you order and for how many Dolore$ ?
Some of those seats really look great!
No hay banda. No hay Jablonsky. Todo está grabado. Nada es lo que parece, todo es una ilusión.

burkbuilds

Postby burkbuilds » Sun Mar 28, 2010 6:59 pm

I was looking on-line and the seat I'd be interested in is the 79470 or 79471 both with a built in backrest, but the Mustang Website says they still haven't come up with mounting instructions for the seats on a Honda Spirit yet and those seats come in two pieces so I was wondering how they would mount. Was the seat you tried out the one piece style or the two piece and if it was the two piece how does it mount up where they meet?

kawboyCAFE

Postby kawboyCAFE » Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:09 am

the seat i ordered was the part #75105 mustang seat. it is a one piece seat. the 2 piece seats are for the shadow spirit 750 C2. you want to order one for the 2008 shadow spirit 750 DC. NOT THE C2. i paid $340 on ebay, and it was brand new. i also ordered the matching backrest pad, part #79059. i started to order the one with the built in drivers backrest, but i didnt want to pay $200 more when i can just strap my bag on the backrest and lean against it when i am riding solo. when my wife is with me she can be my backrest ;). i also ordered an extra tall backrest bar for her. should look cool. as soon as i get them in, i will put them on and take pix for you guys.

Jablonsky

Postby Jablonsky » Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:55 am

Wow, the seat you ordered looks great! I also like "No Studs, No Conchos" part and agree that a well formed wife is the best driver's backrest money can buy. ;)

DaisyField
I ride: '09 with highway bars, saddleman bags, Kuryakyn Grips and Iso wings, OEM luggage rack and windshield

Postby DaisyField » Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:46 pm

I modified my own with a gel pad and memory foam. I took off the cover, carved out the foam to the depth of the gel and memory foam, and then re-installed the cover including the button. It looks exactly like it used to, but my nether region is much happier. I'm just too cheap to spend big bucks for a whole new seat. Even the $80.00 I spent for the gel and foam seemed like alot. I am really happy with the result. I would have to say that the seat and the windshield are the two best things I've done.

I really have to get better at documenting this stuff. I promise if I do it again, I'll take pictures.
I swear... I only ride to save gas. (If you believe that I have a deal on a bridge for you.)

burkbuilds

Postby burkbuilds » Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:42 pm

Kawboy, thanks for the information. :) I looked at those Mustang Seats and drooled, but I just can't bring myself to spend the bucks right now. Besides, I've already moded my seat and it's pretty comfortable now but it could always be even more comfortable and better looking too. Several months ago I bought the foam and materials to make my own seat pan. I was hoping to build a new pan and get the foam on it and send it over to the upholstery shop over my Spring break, but other things took precedence, maybe I'll get it done after this Semester ends.

kawboyCAFE

Postby kawboyCAFE » Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:33 pm

it looks like it doesnt matter anyway guys. i got the mustang seat in, and it doesnt fit. i dont understand, the stock shadow seat fit just fine. oh well, i already sent it back. i called mustang and they said it was suppose to fit just fine, well, it doesnt. sorry to get your hopes up guys, but i guess i was wrong. well, i wasnt wrong, they are. but you know what i mean.

Return to “Other Modifications & Upgrades”