RUNNING "DARKSIDE"

Wheels, tires, suspension, forks, and brakes.
Triangles
Site Admin
I ride: '94 Black Cherry Vulcan 500, '06 Candyfire Red Vulcan 500 LTD

Re: RUNNING "DARKSIDE"

Postby Triangles » Sun Jan 02, 2011 12:18 am

I look forward to a June update. That's probably when I'll have to replace my tires.
ImageImage

burkbuilds

Postby burkbuilds » Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:33 pm

I just thought I'd put in an update on the car tire. I've got just under 2,000 miles on it now. When I first put it on, there was a distinct "flat spot" at the top after coming out of a lean and especially when going from leaning one way and then leaning the opposite way. I'm not sure if I've just gotten used to it, or if the tire is performing differently now, but somewhere around 1,500 miles, I quit noticing the flat spot and it just feels like a regular MC tire now. I've read on a few darkside forums where the guys who run CT think it takes about 1,000 miles to break in a car tire on a bike. Maybe it just took a little longer on a lighter bike to get the same effect. At this point I really don't notice any difference in the feel between the car tire and the motorcycle tires. Now I am mainly interested in seeing what kind of longevity I am going to get with the car tire. I was going through the Bridgestones at a rate of about 1 rear tire for every 12,000 miles. I'm hoping to double that or even more with the $65 car tire.

charnotx
I ride: 1999 Blue/Black Vulcan 500 LTD

Postby charnotx » Thu Sep 11, 2014 9:28 am

Hi burkbuilds,

I know this topic is a few year old, but how did the CT end up handling in the long run on your Vulcan500? Would you do it again? With the same tire, or a different size/type? Have you had to replace it yet?

really interested in going darkside. thanks for your time.

burkbuilds

Postby burkbuilds » Wed Oct 08, 2014 9:14 pm

I had over 24,000 miles on the car tire when I wrecked the bike. A couple of dogs ran out of a driveway and took out the front tire and me. The tread was still in great shape and I think it might have gone another 12,000 miles. I kept the tire and the wheel.

Yes, I'd do it again. The car tire was soooooo much better than any of the motorcycle tires I ran on any of the bikes I've had. It gripped better and lasted multiple times longer than any bike tire and it was pretty cheap to buy in comparison to even an inexpensive bike tire.

The only drawbacks were 1. getting it seated on the rim and 2. the "break in" period where it felt like you were rolling over an edge when you leaned into turns. I only had to seat it once and after the tire "broke in" it felt like any bike tire.

bikerbill
I ride: 1997 Vulcan 500LTD named Hidalgo

Postby bikerbill » Sun Oct 12, 2014 11:15 pm

burk,

Sorry about the mishap and am glad that you are alright.

I am running the same tire on Hidalgo. What air pressure were you running? I have been running 28 psi with good wear and handling results. The 'only' time I think that I have a CT back there is when I am in a sweeper and change throttle position. Otherwise I guess I have gotten used to the way it handles.

BTW this is the second BF Goodrich. The first one lasted about 18,000 miles, which is enough for me. That matches the life I was getting from a Dunlop 491 Elite II at twice the cost. See pic attached for comparison
Attachments
Tire Comparison.jpg
Old BF Goodrich at 18k miles to New BF Goodrich
Tire Comparison.jpg (95.08 KiB) Viewed 11601 times
--
'Biker' Bill
'97 EN500LTD 'Hidalgo'
269,000+ miles so far
VROC #3833
IBA #635

SlipStreamer Enterprise II, Vista Cruise,
Cobra Spots, Drifter solo seat,
Pro-Tac backrest, ScottOiler,
F&S luggage rack, LED lights,
4-gal AUX fuel tank

burkbuilds

Postby burkbuilds » Tue Oct 14, 2014 10:39 pm

Bikerbill, I really don't remember exactly what pressure I found worked best. I'm kinda thinking it was in the mid to upper 20's if my memory serves me well. I started out with more pressure but didn't like the way it felt and I just kept coming off a couple of pounds at a time until I was happy with it.

bikerbill
I ride: 1997 Vulcan 500LTD named Hidalgo

Re: RUNNING "DARKSIDE" no more

Postby bikerbill » Sat May 13, 2017 9:32 pm

Ever since I changed the rear wheel to a cast unit (no tube) the handling has been 'not so crisp'. My guess is that the tube provides a fair bit of sidewall stiffness. Without the tube to add its support the rear is a bit loose. So due to much reduced tread wear and not so crisp handling while riding 2-up with my 13-year old son I have gone away from the Darkside to a Michelin Commander II rear tire. The two flats I had a couple of years ago didn't hurt my decision either.
--
'Biker' Bill
'97 EN500LTD 'Hidalgo'
269,000+ miles so far
VROC #3833
IBA #635

SlipStreamer Enterprise II, Vista Cruise,
Cobra Spots, Drifter solo seat,
Pro-Tac backrest, ScottOiler,
F&S luggage rack, LED lights,
4-gal AUX fuel tank

Return to “Wheels - Suspension & Brakes”