RPM's on Vulcan 500

Maintenance tips, questions and help.
Timbo
I ride: Vulcan 500

RPM's on Vulcan 500

Postby Timbo » Wed May 28, 2014 1:32 pm

I have a question about RPM's. When driving 65 to 70 mph on the highway I notice that the tachometer reads around 5.5 X 1000 rpms. There isn't a red-line on the tachometer and I was wondering if driving for long periods will damage the engine. Almost wish I had one more gear.

Triangles
Site Admin
I ride: '94 Black Cherry Vulcan 500, '06 Candyfire Red Vulcan 500 LTD

Re: RPM's on Vulcan 500

Postby Triangles » Wed May 28, 2014 10:25 pm

The bulk of the engine is identical to the ninja 500 which is designed to rev high. IIRC the ninja redlines at 11k RPM The Vulcan 500 is rev limited. IIRC it is to 10K RPM. So no worries at the RPM's you mention.

FWIW It's probably not good to be running at 7K RPM. Which is what it takes on I-75 in Michigan to keep up with traffic. I have made many 30+ minute rides at those RPM's By many I mean about 4k miles worth. I don't like revving that high so I changed to a taller final drive and am in the 5-5.5K RPM range usually. MPG's are about the same but the engine sounds much happier and the ride isn't as "buzzy"

See this link for more speed vs RPM discussion. There is a spreadsheet I posted there where you can play with different final drive ratios to see what freeway RPM's would be. Also almost every Japanese bike I've owned, the speedo has read slow, as much as 5mph slow at freeway speeds.
http://vulcan500.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=52
ImageImage

Timbo
I ride: Vulcan 500

Postby Timbo » Thu May 29, 2014 11:35 am

That makes me a little more comfortable about driving at those rpm's for around 55 minutes. If you don't mind sharing, what did it cost you to change your final drive and did you do the work yourself? I would have to hire someone to do this type of work for me. Thanks for your help on this issue.

bikerbill
I ride: 1997 Vulcan 500LTD named Hidalgo

Postby bikerbill » Fri May 30, 2014 8:39 pm

Timbo,

Some more info to ease your mind about engine revs. Most of my 35 mile commute is at 75mph. I also have documented three 300 mile non-stop trip segments averaging over 75mph. It's the 'little engine that can'. It ain't hurtin' it a bit.

Oh, I am running a 17T front sprocket.

Ride, ride, ride!
--
'Biker' Bill
'97 EN500LTD 'Hidalgo'
270,000+ miles so far
VROC #3833
IBA #635

SlipStreamer Enterprise II, Vista Cruise,
Cobra Spots, Drifter solo seat,
Pro-Tac backrest, ScottOiler,
F&S luggage rack, LED lights,
4-gal AUX fuel tank

Triangles
Site Admin
I ride: '94 Black Cherry Vulcan 500, '06 Candyfire Red Vulcan 500 LTD

Postby Triangles » Fri May 30, 2014 10:54 pm

Timbo wrote:That makes me a little more comfortable about driving at those rpm's for around 55 minutes. If you don't mind sharing, what did it cost you to change your final drive and did you do the work yourself? I would have to hire someone to do this type of work for me. Thanks for your help on this issue.

More or less basic hand tools are all that is needed. I did buy a chain riveting tool because I don't trust the clip together master links. Also I had made some Jack stands from some scrap wood years ago for my first bike. I use them under the swingarm so I can take the rear wheel off. I swapped in the rear damper from an early ninja to get a 38T rear sprocket and put a 17T up front. The smallest rear sprocket you can fit stock is 40T. In hindsight It wasn't worth the extra hassle for the 38T rear sprocket. Look in the tech section I posted a whole thread on this.
ImageImage

Return to “Maintenance”