92 Vulcan with cut mufflers

Engine, exhaust & cooling mods or problems. If it has to do with cooling, anything within the crank case, or exhaust, it goes here.
poolhstlr1978
I ride: 92 red vulcan 500ex

92 Vulcan with cut mufflers

Postby poolhstlr1978 » Sat Feb 15, 2014 7:22 pm

When I bought this bike, it needed a bit of repair. Finally got most of the mechanical issues dealt with.
The only thing remaining is the muffler.
The original had the muffler cut from the pipes.
I never thought trying to replace them would be such an ordeal.
With this being a solid piece with the pipes, what can be done?
I really would like to quiet this down a bit as the straight pipes do tend to rettle the neighbors aince I don't get in until later on the evening.
I also would like to not give the police a reason to stop me.
Are there any suggestions, possibly a slip-on muffler that will work or an after market system from a different year?

Triangles
Site Admin
I ride: '94 Black Cherry Vulcan 500, '06 Candyfire Red Vulcan 500 LTD

Re: 92 Vulcan with cut mufflers

Postby Triangles » Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:09 am

The second generation mufflers were slip on. If you have calipers and can measure the OD of your pipe I could measure the ID of the second generation slip ons. Alternatively it has been popular to use the Harley Dyna mufflers with appropriate adapters. See http://www.en500.us for detailed instructions.
ImageImage

poolhstlr1978
I ride: 92 red vulcan 500ex

Postby poolhstlr1978 » Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:54 pm

1 3/8"

Triangles
Site Admin
I ride: '94 Black Cherry Vulcan 500, '06 Candyfire Red Vulcan 500 LTD

Postby Triangles » Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:57 pm

1 1/2" so with one of the spacers mentioned in the link above the stock 2nd gen would work assuming you can get them to line up properly. Considering the non availability of the stock 2nd gen mufflers (at least at a reasonable cost), You're probably better off to find a pair of the Dyna mufflers off fleabay or craigslist for 30-40 bucks. Another option would be to watch fleabay for a set of complete used pipes. If you do some searching I have read of some people using the Dunstall (sp?) style mufflers but they don't muffle much.
ImageImage

Return to “Engine - Exhaust - Cooling”