Mircosquirt Fuel Injection Project log.

Everything in-between the gas cap and the carbs. Also how the engine inhales.
Triangles
Site Admin
I ride: '94 Black Cherry Vulcan 500, '06 Candyfire Red Vulcan 500 LTD

Re: Mircosquirt Fuel Injection Project log.

Postby Triangles » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:45 pm

This is still a back burner project although it's moving toward a front burner project. Right now I'm still trying to figure out how to shoe horn a 36-2 crank position trigger wheel on. I found this interesting website Although I think I am still going to use the Microsquirt controller. As soon as I figure out this crank trigger wheel this project will move forward rapidly.
ImageImage

burkbuilds

Postby burkbuilds » Sat Jul 20, 2013 10:42 pm

Thanks for the update. I was wondering if you were still moving forward with this project.

Triangles
Site Admin

Postby Triangles » Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:52 pm

I've had a small breakthrough this evening. Tonite I popped off the clutch cover and the stator cover to see where I could shoe horn in a crank position sensor. There is no way to use the end of the crank on the clutch side. The edge of the cover is practically up against the crankshaft on the waterpump side. :cry:

Looking at the flywheel side, I was thinking of wedging a trigger wheel in between the starter clutch and the flywheel.

There is a void by the end of the counterbalance shaft (round thing to the left of the flywheel). Hmmm this looks like where one of the OEM crank sensors is already located! I took some measurements and I should be able to use spacers to move the sensor the required centimeter or two in order to center it over where I would put the trigger wheel.
ImageImage
Now I just need to draw the trigger wheel in CAD and get it fabbed up.
ImageImage

Triangles
Site Admin

Postby Triangles » Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:02 pm

YAY! I got my trigger wheel made! It's black because I cleaned up a little surface rust and applied some corrosion conversion stuff aka "gun blue". I had ordered 9ga sheet metal which is 0.1495 inch thick and what I got measures .1575 inch thick which is in between 8 and 9 gauge thickness. I'm wondering if they used 4mm since .1575 is pretty darn close to 4mm

The inner part of the trigger wheel slips over the round part sticking out of the back of the flywheel. I had it cut at 79mm ID and the OD of the back of the flywheel measured at 79.5mm. The wheel just barely will not go on. My plan is to determine where the missing teeth need to be and then heat up the trigger wheel and do a shrink fit to help hold it in place.

Starter clutch removed (for reference)

This is sort of how it's going to go together.
ImageImage
My Microsquirt 3 will soon be on it's way. Then things will get interesting.
ImageImage

Triangles
Site Admin

Postby Triangles » Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:18 pm

Look what the mailman brought me today! Should be an interesting weekend.

ImageImage

Triangles
Site Admin

Postby Triangles » Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:13 pm

:evil: This Oil line that I didn't see hiding under the flywheel will interfere with any trigger wheel mounted to the back of the flywheel. Expletive delted!!! I was so hostile I forgot to take a picture of the problem before I buttoned it back up. Thanks to Google I found this picture of the culprit (but on an EX500 engine).
Well I guess it's back to the drawing board! Anyone have any ideas as to how I can get a crank position trigger wheel shoe horned on this?

I also discovered that "the right stuff" gasket goo is a good alternative to the 10 dollar OEM gasket. I had some of this laying around and decided to use it since I know I'll be taking it apart again in the near future. so far it seems to be holding up just fine.
ImageImage

Triangles
Site Admin

Postby Triangles » Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:48 pm

I found a manufacturer in the UK that is willing to custom cut trigger teeth in a new flywheel!!! Unfortunately they want north of $600 for a one off custom :( That's a bit too rich for my blood especially considering I don't have a high degree of confidence I can make it work.
ImageImage

burkbuilds

Postby burkbuilds » Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:16 am

Wow, that's a chunk of change indeed. Thanks for keeping us updated. I hope you can find a more economical option.

Triangles
Site Admin

Postby Triangles » Thu Nov 14, 2013 6:05 am

My "Christmas" present to myself is going to be a TIG welder. Once I learn how to use it, that may present some possibilities. Although I fear the heat from trying to weld on a flywheel may damage the magnets. I could forego spark control and do fuel only but what would be the fun in that?
ImageImage

Triangles
Site Admin

Postby Triangles » Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:54 pm

After consulting with the µs gurus it looks like I still have a chance. I won't have quite as precise of control but it looks like I might be able to use the OEM ignition triggers and sensors!

My new game plan is to abandon the cam sensor I already implemented and use the OEM crank ignition trigger/sensors. Essentially I'll replicate the factory ignition system and use the carbs. Once I have the ignition all worked out I'll start implementing the fuel injection. It looks like I'll still be able to implement single fire ignition (COP) and sequential fuel injection after all, only with slightly less precision than my original plan. For all the tech babble see this thread on the µs forum I hope to have ignition working by the end of the year and FI by late spring.

Edit: 12/26/13 The µs link is dead. They are having troubles with their ISP and apparently my thread was a casualty. I lost some good information that I had to dig back up. from now on I will be duplicating all the tedious details here so I don't lose any information. I am thinking I also need to make an offline copy of this project log in case bad things happen here too :)
ImageImage

burkbuilds

Postby burkbuilds » Thu Nov 28, 2013 9:15 am

Good luck and please keep us updated on this project.

fastpakr

Postby fastpakr » Mon May 13, 2019 11:23 am

Did you ever make further progress on this?
1999 Vulcan 500, 23k miles

Triangles
Site Admin

Postby Triangles » Tue May 14, 2019 9:03 am

I haven't made any progress but I do still plan to tackle this. It's been a couple years since I' posted so about this so forgive me if I'm reposting.
I found a supplier for new flywheels for EN500As and for new sensors. I'll have to use a EN500A cover so there's a place to mount the sensors. The earlier ignition setup gives a trigger pulse when each piston is at TDC. I plan to use this and run a wasted spark setup. Unfortunately I am in the process of getting an 89 Honda Pacific Coast 800 back on the road and I want that done before trying to tackle the FI project. So it will probably be a few more years.
ImageImage

Return to “Carbs & Fuel System and Intake”