Bought a Vulcan 900 this morning

Talk about your other motorcycles here.
burkbuilds

Bought a Vulcan 900 this morning

Postby burkbuilds » Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:02 pm

Well, here I am, 2 1/2 months out from my crash, still in a wheelchair and what did I do, what else, I bought a new bike this morning. I've been watching this nice VN 900

for a few weeks since I saw it in the showroom while the dealer was getting me a repair estimate on my Vulcan 500. It's a deep maroon with a beige swatch down the

middle and a little gold pin strip where the two colors meet. I ordered a trike kit for it this morning and I've got both scheduled for delivery at my house in about two

weeks. That should give me enough time to finish getting the 500 ready to sell. The dealer offered to put my 500 on the floor of his showroom for me for a flat fee of

$100 if it sells. He said he often gets people in looking for used bikes and he thought mine would move pretty well.

Wouldn't you know I forgot to take my camera with me, so nothing to show yet but as soon as it gets here I'll put some up and I will also document the conversion to the

trike as well.

I'm hoping that the Doctor's will let me start putting weight on my foot by the time this all gets delivered.

I'll have to admit that I weighed my options with factors like, what bike would be easiest to

convert to a trike, gas mileage, and available trike kits for each model. Yamaha has a similar size bike that would also be a great

choice, but most of the Suzuki models now have shaft drive, which is a great system but less options for trike conversions and the

ones that are available are pretty expensive. I also wanted to continue doing business with the dealer I bought my 500 from, Rose

Kawasaki. They have been terrific to deal with, fair with prices, helpful with anything I've needed or asked their help with since I

bought the 500 from them in 2009. Rose is a small family owned business, they are less than 2 miles from my home and I just like doing

business with them. When I told them I was interested in buying a 900 to convert to a trike, they offered me a top of the line 900 for

about $800 below retail and offered to help me sell my 500.

Triangles
Site Admin
I ride: '94 Black Cherry Vulcan 500, '06 Candyfire Red Vulcan 500 LTD

Re: Bought a Vulcan 900 this morning

Postby Triangles » Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:45 am

Sweet! I'd like to see some before and after picts of that 900. Hope you can get back in the saddle sooner rather than later. I'd list your 500 on craigslist first unless you need to sell it asap to help pay for the 900. If not that $100 fee charged if it sells is very generous. Most places I've seen would want 10-20% of the sale price.
ImageImage

burkbuilds

Postby burkbuilds » Fri Jun 29, 2012 2:19 pm

Yeah, that's a fair fee by anyone's standards. I don't really have to sell it in a hurry. I might post it on Craigslist, that's how I sold the 750 a few weeks ago. Anyway, it's nice to know the dealer is an option, and I am gonna need some room in my shop when I start building the Trike, so that might be the deciding factor. I will try to document the bike to trike build really well with photos.

burkbuilds

Postby burkbuilds » Sat Jun 30, 2012 12:42 pm

I went by the dealership this morning and snapped a few pics so I could show everyone what the bike looks like. In general I've always said that motorcycles should be black, and I do like black bikes a lot, but in this case, I'm trying to build a Trike that looks like something a little more "mature" rider might find appealing. Why, well, if this goes well, I am seriously considering trying to market some Trikes locally. I've already spoken to one dealer and there seems to be some interest in a nice "entry level" Trike that costs less than $20,000 I figure the worst that can happen is that I get no orders and I end up with a nice trike for myself.

Well, here's some pics of the bike as it sits now.

GeorgiaRider

Postby GeorgiaRider » Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:14 am

That is a great looking bike! Good choice and I hope you enjoy it.
GeorgiaRider
2006 Vulcan 500

Kuryakyan Foot Peg Extenders and Pegs
Memphis Shades Alley Cat Windshield
Saddlemen Large Slant Saddlebags
Powersports Mini-Tachometer
Kawasaki Luggage Rack
Kuryakyan Iso-Grips
Airhawk cushion
Marlin's Clock

burkbuilds

Postby burkbuilds » Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:50 am

Thanks, they are supposed to deliver it later this week. I'll get some daylight shots of it then and post them.

Return to “Other Motorcycles”