How much oil

Maintenance tips, questions and help.
shadowguy
I ride: 2005 Kawasaki Vulcan EN500, 2001 Honda Shadow ACE 750

How much oil

Postby shadowguy » Sun May 06, 2012 12:08 pm

When I check the oil in the sight glass what level should it be? At what level should I be con earned? Mine shows about halfway but I have nothing to reference this to. Thanks for the help (because I know that someone will know the answer :) ).
Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you.

Turbojoe
I ride: 2004 Vulcan 500

Re: How much oil

Postby Turbojoe » Sun May 06, 2012 8:41 pm

You want it halfway with the bike upright. (Not on the side stand). Sure wish there was a dipstick. That sight glass is a real P.I.T.A. to read sometimes.

Joe
The nonsensical ravings of a lunatic mind.....

2004 Vulcan 500

shadowguy
I ride: 2005 Kawasaki Vulcan EN500, 2001 Honda Shadow ACE 750

Postby shadowguy » Mon May 07, 2012 11:47 am

Turbojoe wrote:You want it halfway with the bike upright. (Not on the side stand). Sure wish there was a dipstick. That sight glass is a real P.I.T.A. to read sometimes.

Joe

Thanks for the info. I agree the sight glass is difficult and a dipstick would be a far more preferable solution. My old eyes being what they are, I read about the sight glass a long time before I had the bike in a location lit well enough for me to actually find it (at the same time it had occurred to me to look for it, that is). I only recently was looking for it when the light was sufficient for me to see it at which time I realized being able to see it didn't help when I didn't know how to interpret what I was looking at! :shock:
Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you.

Triangles
Site Admin
I ride: '94 Black Cherry Vulcan 500, '06 Candyfire Red Vulcan 500 LTD

Postby Triangles » Mon May 07, 2012 11:40 pm

I think it's worth repeating what Joe said. The bike MUST be upright (as in not leaning to one side or the other such as on a side stand) to view the oil level with the site glass. If you fill it to the site glass on the side stand you have over filled it.
ImageImage

Return to “Maintenance”