Front Brakes "squeeking"

Maintenance tips, questions and help.
burkbuilds

Front Brakes "squeeking"

Postby burkbuilds » Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:43 am

When I bought my 09, the front brakes squeaked a lot, it was kinda embarrassing to pull up to a stop light. So I took it back to the dealer and they messed with it , it was a little better, but not much. I read several "solutions" on another Vulcan forum, seems like I wasn't the only one having a problem with this issue. In addition to the squeaking sound, the brakes had a loping effect as I pulled up to a stop, so I actually started using the rear brakes most of the time and only using the front brakes to assist. (I know that's not how you are supposed to do it, no lectures please.) Well, anyway, I ordered new pads from a company off of e-bay (I've heard people gripe about e-bay brake pads not fitting, but I've always bought mine there and so far no problems) and I decided to change them out myself today. I cleaned up the calipers really well, removed the old pads, took out the "anti-rattle" piece and cleaned it up and then put everything back and bled the line really well and guess what, no more squeaks, and smooth stops. It's nice to be able to use my front brakes as they were intended again! I guess the factory pads were just not good. So, if you are having the same problem, maybe just try some "Kevlar/Metallic pads" off of e-bay and replace those OEM ones and maybe your problem will be solved for less than $20 and a little time putting them on.

GeorgiaRider

Re: Front Brakes "squeeking"

Postby GeorgiaRider » Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:14 pm

Can't wait to change my brake pads. It's embarrasing to ride up to a stop with squeaking brakes. If you wait a little longer to brake and brake a little harder you can avoid it. Read about this technique on one of the forums.
GeorgiaRider
2006 Vulcan 500

Kuryakyan Foot Peg Extenders and Pegs
Memphis Shades Alley Cat Windshield
Saddlemen Large Slant Saddlebags
Powersports Mini-Tachometer
Kawasaki Luggage Rack
Kuryakyan Iso-Grips
Airhawk cushion
Marlin's Clock

Triangles
Site Admin
I ride: '94 Black Cherry Vulcan 500, '06 Candyfire Red Vulcan 500 LTD

Re: Front Brakes "squeeking"

Postby Triangles » Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:40 pm

I don't know why but it seems all "stock" brakes are very squeaky! on my first bike (suzuki GZ250) I replaced the pads with ceramic pads, specifically those made by SBS (Scandinavian Brake Systems). They are reasonably priced, work very well and have never squeaked for me. Unfortunately the can be a bit hard to find.

I eventually plan to buy the ceramic SBS brake pads for my Vulcan 500s. The SBS part number is 557HF and available here.

Note: I have never purchased from the company in the link and know nothing about them. They just happened to be the first one I found that carried the ceramic SBS brake pads for the vulcan 500.

If you believe the SBS parts catalog available here these pads fit both first and second generation vulcan 500s

If you search for these brake pads they are also sold under the "Parts Unlimited" brand part # 1721-0273.

Edit: Also looks like they're sold under the "Drag Specialties" label as well I found them here cheaper yet.
ImageImage

Return to “Maintenance”