Any Radio control pilots here?

Everything unrelated and general talk. Chit chat away....
Turbojoe
I ride: 2004 Vulcan 500

Any Radio control pilots here?

Postby Turbojoe » Sat May 26, 2012 12:52 pm

Just wondering how many bikers may be interested....

I've been into R/C in one form or another since 1973 when I got an Associated RC-100 1/8 scale pan chassis car and an EK Logictrol radio. It went nuts from there. I quickly moved to glow powered airplanes to off road electric cars to electric airplanes to electric on road cars to electric airplanes to electric helicopters to electric airplanes and electric helicopters and electric off road cars to well, it's an addiction......

I know a lot of people tried building the old R/C kits back in the bad old days and may have given up in frustration because of the poor quality wood and die "crunch" cutting. Today we have exceptionally well designed lightweight laser cut kits that are an absolute joy to build and fly. There are only a few kitters out there now in relation to what there used to be but my absolute favorites are http://www.mountainmodels.com/index.php and http://www.alienaircraft.com/kits.htm. I've built several beta kits as well as a few prototypes for Mountain Models and nobody but nobody cares more about making things perfect before release to the public than Brian Eberwein at Mountain Models. Tom Herr at Alien Aircraft is also very well known in the R/C industry but I've only recently built a few of his kits. While I don't have the relationship with Tom that I do with Brian I am VERY impressed with the quality of his kits. First rate stuff!

For those that don't want the satisfaction of flying something that they built with their own two hands there is the ARF market. "A"almost "R" ready to "F"fly. Quite a misnomer as most of these planes are stolen copies of existing designs poorly built in China or Taiwan and far too many are poorly glued, heavy and poor flyers. They aren't really "almost ready to fly" as they still need motors, speed controls, radios, batteries, servos etc, etc, etc, etc just like a kit would. It's kind of a crap shoot to find a good one. I'm quite biased here because I've been a "builder" from day one.

If you are on the east side of Phoenix (Mesa, Chandler, Gilbert, Apache Junction) and are SERIOUSLY interested in getting into this awesome hobby I have a "buddy box" trainer radio and what I consider THE best electric trainer/sport plane ever designed that I'll be more than happy to give you a familiarization flight on. If you happen to be retired or have mornings off I can hook you up with some really great guys that fly almost every morning in Gilbert. Beware though, one flight and you'll be hooked. Plan to spend $300.00 as a bare minimum to get a start. I probably have close to $10,000 I've invested over the years but I'm better equipped than a lot of hobby shops. You don't have to go as far as I have but like ANY hobby, it ain't cheap if you go to excess. You can slowly work your way up as you have a total blast along the way. Move at a pace that suits you. myself as well as many others will help you to succeed.

Let's go flyin'.

Joe
The nonsensical ravings of a lunatic mind.....

2004 Vulcan 500

Return to “Off Topic Chatter”