94 EN500A Saddle bag supports.

Mods and upgrades that don’t fit any of the above topics such as, bars, seats, fenders, etc.
Triangles
Site Admin
I ride: '94 Black Cherry Vulcan 500, '06 Candyfire Red Vulcan 500 LTD

94 EN500A Saddle bag supports.

Postby Triangles » Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:48 pm

I have been unable to locate some saddle bag supports for the EN500A 90-96. I will likely end up fabbing some later this year. check back here for updates. I found some here but they are way too expensive.
ImageImage

hwmccullough

Re: 94 EN500A Saddle bag supports.

Postby hwmccullough » Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:57 pm

I had the same problem so I made my own from aluminum angle stock. If you'd like, I'll take some pictures and post them here.

Triangles
Site Admin

Postby Triangles » Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:20 pm

if it's not too much trouble, please do.

I did find someone on another forum that had made some. I was gonna copy what he did, bend up some 1/4" rod and have one of the guys at work weld some washers on the ends. I would link back to the post on that other forum, but they were assholes and deleted my post when, heaven forbid I mentioned this forum on theirs.
ImageImage

hwmccullough

Postby hwmccullough » Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:02 am

Triangles wrote:if it's not too much trouble, please do.

but they were assholes and deleted my post when, heaven forbid I mentioned this forum on theirs.

Some guys can't see beyond the end of their noses. We are all bikers, regardless of what forum we own, read, etc. You were right in your assessment of them.

I'll be glad to take a few pics and upload them. Should be able to do that by Monday. If I forget, please remind me. At my age they said two things would go bad; one was memory and I forgot the other... (grin)

SandMan

burkbuilds

Postby burkbuilds » Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:18 pm

When I bought my 500 last may the dealer sold me some saddle bag supports from a larger model of Vulcan and I simply "spread" them a little bit to get the bolt holes to line up. You might see if that is a possibility for your year model. I only had to spread them about 1/2" to get them to fit and he sold me the supports for about $45 because he had purchased way more than he was selling for the other bike and wanted to get rid of them. You may find that several models will fit your bike with only a little pushing or pulling to get everything lined up, and once the bags are installed you can't see them anyway and they didn't look bad even if you could see them. Good luck!

hwmccullough

Postby hwmccullough » Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:36 pm

Sorry I didn't get to take photos this weekend. I was out riding. However, here are the pics I used to build mine from. They show the same material you can get from any local hardware or building supply. It uses aluminum angle stock, nuts and bolts. We built mine in about an hour with hand tools. No welding or special techniques.

Enjoy...

Triangles
Site Admin

Postby Triangles » Sat Jan 23, 2010 8:07 pm

Thanks for the pics! unfortunately the 1st gen Vulcan 500 is a little different and I don't think that would quite work. I've got some ideas though.
ImageImage

hwmccullough

Postby hwmccullough » Sat Jan 23, 2010 8:16 pm

My vulcan is a first generation. I used these photos to create mine for my 94.

Triangles
Site Admin

Postby Triangles » Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:56 am

ok, makes sense now I missed the part where you sed you made yours based off these picts. It's hard for me to visualize right now as my bike is mostly stripped to get some frame paint touch up done. Waiting a few weeks for warmer weather so I can paint. I may try that if my fab shop connections don't pan out.
ImageImage

DaisyField
I ride: '09 with highway bars, saddleman bags, Kuryakyn Grips and Iso wings, OEM luggage rack and windshield

Postby DaisyField » Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:58 pm

My Husband made those for my '09, probably from the same web post, and they work great. We put a little piece of carpet between the aluminium stock and the fender to keep it from scratching. It probably took about 30 minutes and $10.00 of material. Once the bags are on, you never see them. One of the nicest thing about the design is that you can spread it apart or bring it closer to fit alot of different configurations.
I swear... I only ride to save gas. (If you believe that I have a deal on a bridge for you.)

kawboyCAFE

Postby kawboyCAFE » Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:00 am

i bought a pair for mine off of ebay, cost like $25. of course as soon as i get my saddlebags on, you wont see them anyway.

Triangles
Site Admin

Postby Triangles » Thu May 20, 2010 9:21 am

I finally broke down and ordered some saddle bag supports for my '94 vulcan 500. I just don't have the time to make any right now and using a back pack is getting old fast. Highway Hawk part# 664-020. Cruiser Customizing is the only vendor I know of that carries Highway Hawk parts in the US and of course they don't carry the supports so I had to look to European vendors that would ship to the US at a reasonable cost. I found them at http://www.customparts.nl/. After converting from Euro to USD the total came out to about $91 shipped. Still ridiculously expensive IMHO but, the free time it would take me to make them is worth it I guess.
ImageImage

hwmccullough

Postby hwmccullough » Thu May 20, 2010 10:22 am

I thought of buying a set, but it only took me about an hour to make both sides using a hacksaw and wrench. But I'm sure the purchased ones look a lot better than mine.... (grin)

Triangles
Site Admin

Postby Triangles » Thu May 20, 2010 2:22 pm

hwmccullough wrote:I thought of buying a set, but it only took me about an hour to make both sides using a hacksaw and wrench. But I'm sure the purchased ones look a lot better than mine.... (grin)

hmmm now you have me second guessing. I only really care about function. I don't care if they're ugly. how did you make up for the fact that the front mounting points are wider on the bike than the rear mounting points? Hmmm maybe I shouldn't have made an impulse buy......
ImageImage

hwmccullough

Postby hwmccullough » Thu May 20, 2010 3:33 pm

I'm sure your brackets are far better than mine. Mine are somewhat ugly at best and definitely look home made. The width wasn't an issue. The aluminum fit to it just fine with no modification. We just bolted them to the existing mounting points and it worked fine.

Return to “Other Modifications & Upgrades”