94 EN500A Saddle bag supports.

Mods and upgrades that don’t fit any of the above topics such as, bars, seats, fenders, etc.
barfubare

Re: 94 EN500A Saddle bag supports.

Postby barfubare » Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:47 pm

I made a set of my own using 1/4 inch rod I bought from Home Debt and bending it in a vice. I originally soldered Compression Lugs (found in the electrical dept of the same big box hardware store) on the ends to bolt to the bike. Unfortunately, the compression lugs are made of copper and the front ones were flexing due to being stressed sideways and the copper had cracked and the bags were rubbing against the shocks at the bottom. Back ones that stress straight down from the joint seem to be holding up. I ended up having someone weld some flat stock on the front end of the supports , then cut it down and rounded it a bit to match the profile of the chrome piece it bolts on to. I'm still using the compression lugs at the rear. Unfortunately, I don't have any pics with the flat stock at the front, but here's some pics from when I was using the compression lugs.

And with the bags on the bike

I did a mock-up with just a piece of electrical wire to get the shape, then bent the rod to match my mock-up. I also moved my turn signals so I could fit bigger bags. My bags are a bit far away at the rear the bike, but since I wanted bigger bags, I had to go to the side of the shocks rather than behind them where I could've brought them in closer. One of my winter projects will be to actually paint them so they don't rust out on me.

Return to “Other Modifications & Upgrades”