Cheap Throttle Lock Mod

Mods and upgrades that don’t fit any of the above topics such as, bars, seats, fenders, etc.
mikelem79
I ride: 2006 Red Vulcan 500 LTD.... Soon to be Black!

Cheap Throttle Lock Mod

Postby mikelem79 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 5:10 pm

I know most of the veterans probably know about how to make a cheap throttle lock. But this is for the new riders. After pondering if I was going to buy the cheapest throttle lock I could find, I decided to use the old twist tie method... Basically, it is a piece of wire (I had a piece of chain link fence that worked nicely) inside a 1/4" rubber vacuum hose and when looped around your throttle, will rest against the brake lever, thus keeping the throttle in place. Think of it like twisting that tie around the bread bag. Does that make sense? Just work the wire so it holds the throttle open. It actually works great going down the highway. DO NOT use it in traffic. I assume no responsibility if anyone gets hurt. I use it on my bike, and I am just throwing it out there. It is hella cheaper than dropping 35 bucks on something else. I think I spent 16 cents for the vacuum hose at Lowes.
It's funny how common sense isn't so common nowadays.

BillInGA

Re: Cheap Throttle Lock Mod

Postby BillInGA » Sat Apr 09, 2011 4:15 pm

That is cheap. How easily can it be released when you transition from cruise mode into traffic?

Obviously, everyone has their own preferences. I'm very happy with the Vista Cruise throttle lock. It has a thumb lever to release the throttle at a moment's notice. In my book it's $40 and 20-30 minutes installation time well spent.
ATGATT - All The Gear, All The Time

2000 Vulcan 500 LTD
2004 Suzuki GZ250
1998 Toyota Camry

mikelem79
I ride: 2006 Red Vulcan 500 LTD.... Soon to be Black!

Re: Cheap Throttle Lock Mod

Postby mikelem79 » Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:15 am

Actually, you control the tightness of the lock as you fit it onto your throttle. After you thread the wire into the hose, just bend it to your preferences. I guess that's cool about "building" a throttle lock vice buying one. I have mine loose enough to when I start to hit traffic, I can just roll the throttle forward to slow down. Also, setting it and releasing it can all be done with one hand. And I can take it off the throttle in case I don't need it. The trick is bending it tight enough to stick to your handgrips, and loose enough to cancel and take off when not needed, I guess. I hope this helps.

Return to “Other Modifications & Upgrades”