Forward Controls

Mods and upgrades that don’t fit any of the above topics such as, bars, seats, fenders, etc.
Jablonsky

Forward Controls

Postby Jablonsky » Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:03 am

Fact # 1: vulcan 500 is not a gigantic bike.
Fact # 2: I am about 6'4" (also not gigantic, but taller than an average pygmy)

So, uncle Jablonsky went forward controls hunting.

I found Burchard. I wasn't impressed by the item's beauty, but almost K.O. by its price.

And I found Seeger. Better looking? Maybe. But the price is still shocking.

Then I found a pretty decent looking pair:
allegedly made by Mapam. Tried to call them several times, without any success. It seems that the company does not exist any more?

This Monday I found De Pretto, conveniently close to where I go almost every week for business. Yesterday I was there and bagged THIS item. The friendly De Pretto Lady gave me a substantial discount, but I still left there about 500 Dolore$. It hurts, but if the item fits (and it should), I will survive.
No hay banda. No hay Jablonsky. Todo está grabado. Nada es lo que parece, todo es una ilusión.

burkbuilds

Re: Forward Controls

Postby burkbuilds » Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:23 am

That looks good, make sure and post pictures after you finish the installation.

Jablonsky

Postby Jablonsky » Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:50 am

Aye aye, Sir.

But it will most probably be in 2 or 3 weeks, hardly any sooner. Speedy is (obviously) not my middle name.
No hay banda. No hay Jablonsky. Todo está grabado. Nada es lo que parece, todo es una ilusión.

Triangles
Site Admin
I ride: '94 Black Cherry Vulcan 500, '06 Candyfire Red Vulcan 500 LTD

Postby Triangles » Sat Feb 20, 2010 10:14 pm

Very nice, can't wait to hear how they work out. I see that company even has saddle bag supports for my 94. No way in hell I'd pay over 100 dollars plus shipping though :(
ImageImage

Jablonsky

Postby Jablonsky » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:55 pm

Almost forgot to post pics of the forward controls. Here they are:

First impression: they mount, fit & work without problems. The pegs are forward by abt 6 inches from original position. Feels good.

barfubare

Postby barfubare » Sun Jun 13, 2010 3:07 pm

Well Jablonsky,

Now that you've had the forward controls on for a while and I would assume a decent amount of saddle time, care to give an extended review. I'm only 6', but on my old A model, I feel like I'm folded up like an accordion. But since $500 is a bit of change, I'd rather somebody else does the experimenting before I jump in.

How's the fit for you now, are you able to ride longer without cramping up (always seems to get me in the hips)? Any insights you'd care to share? And which of their models did you actually buy?

Jablonsky

Postby Jablonsky » Mon Jun 14, 2010 12:25 am

Barfubare, I bought THIS model. It is their basic and also cheapest model, but as I understood the only difference between this and other models are different footpegs/floorboards.
- it's a nice and professionally made item
- installs and fits well without any need to drill extra holes and similar, as often happens with cheaper items
- works well (no negative remarks regarding shifting or using the rear brake)
- my impression is that the footpegs are set more forward, but also a bit higher than the original

I cannot say for sure that these forward controls would solve your problems with cramps in the hips. It does not depend only on how tall you are. It also depends on one's inseam (mine is abt 36) as well as how far back/forward one tends to sit. Finding the "sweet" position which provides the right comfort and the right feeling of the bike is a very individual thing.

My personal evaluation: I was not cramped with the original settings (obviously, my old bones still adapt). Forward controls improved the comfort, but not so significantly to make me yell: "Yesss, this is what I've been looking for all my life!" I am not disappointed and I do not regret the money spent on this item. I am reasonably happy, but let's say if I could stretch my legs a bit more, I would be happier.

Return to “Other Modifications & Upgrades”