I think i made a mistake...

Post here if your problem does not fit one of the above topics or if you don't know what's causing you grief. Let us help you solve your problem.
sayloth

I think i made a mistake...

Postby sayloth » Mon Jun 09, 2014 3:36 pm

Hey guys. Really in a spot here, or really thats what i am asking. I picked up a 94 500 knowing it didnt run. paid 100 bucks for it. I get it home and start to get after it. lights work. horn works. signals work....wont turn over. hmmm. so i hard start it from the starter wont start...hmmm. whats that crunching sound i say to myself :? so i tack of the side cover where the generator is...AH HA!!!! a magnet fell out and got chewed up. so there is why i wont get spark. ok how much is the flywheel... :evil: im not paying that much! So i shoot to pay and pick up an 06. motor looks the same. same mounts. same covers. vacuum and water lines. same motor that looks great so im happy. today i start the swap and get shut down real fast because what i am guessing is a "position sensor" for the igniters.....well there are 2 in the 94 and the plug is a 4 wire....im guessing one for each plug? the 06 looks different in there. the flywheel is much stronger looking and seems to be a better set up but the "position sensor"...there is only one and the plug is 2 wire...so im guessing on the 06 it goes to some unit that distributes it to the igniters....? so do i go back to PA and get the 95 they had or is this a simple swap because i can see already that this isnt plug n play. Thanks guys and any advice is really needed.

Triangles
Site Admin
I ride: '94 Black Cherry Vulcan 500, '06 Candyfire Red Vulcan 500 LTD

Re: I think i made a mistake...

Postby Triangles » Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:47 pm

I will start off by telling you that you can buy an new flywheel for about $150. You'll have to search the threads here because I don't remember off the top of my head where other than it's made in Europe.

The problem you have is that the EN500A and EN500C have different and incompatible ignition systems. The EN500A has two ignition pickups (VR sensors) and one trigger tooth on the flywheel. There is one pickup for each piston. The EN500C engine uses only one ignition pickup that decodes a pattern of trigger teeth. I don't remember the exact pattern but there is at least one long tooth and one short tooth.

To get the EN500C motor to work requires the "Ignitor" (aka ignition box) from an EN500C. You'd have to do some creative wiring to graft it onto your EN500A.

Additionally the output shafts are different. I don't know how you would get the EN500A front pulley on the EN500C output shaft! You would almost have to convert the bike to a chain drive.

There are other subtle differences such as the EN500C has lower compression pistions and less aggressive cams. This produces about 10 less horsepower but supposedly offers more low end torque.

They had both models EN500A an EN500C in '95 so you could be in the same boat make sure the output shaft on the '95 matches your '94! That is how you can tell if it is an EN500A or EN500C motor.

You really should have just spent the $150 dollars on a new flywheel!
ImageImage

Triangles
Site Admin
I ride: '94 Black Cherry Vulcan 500, '06 Candyfire Red Vulcan 500 LTD

Re: I think i made a mistake...

Postby Triangles » Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:49 pm

I forgot to mention, the new flywheels are constructed similar to the newer EN500C flywheels so you won't have to worry about magnets coming apart again.
ImageImage

Return to “General Troubleshooting”