need help with mods...

Post here if your problem does not fit one of the above topics or if you don't know what's causing you grief. Let us help you solve your problem.
mattheww1377
I ride: 2007 black ghostflamed vulcan 500 ltd

need help with mods...

Postby mattheww1377 » Sat Jul 23, 2011 12:36 am

I have an 07 vulcan 500 ltd. Put a 17 sprocket on it and love it.. put a k&n in it and saw nothing change, so i put the stage 1 kit from dynojet in it and will not run with the filter in it. with the filter out runs about like it did. put the filter in and she shuts down at anypoint over 1/3 throttle... the kit is a stage 1 & 3 with 2 sets of jets for each. put in the 126 jets which is supposed to be for stock exhaust and a k&n but she won't run like that...The exhaust has the baffles drilled a lil but not extreme.. should i put the smaller jets in it or what??? Matthew

burkbuilds

Re: need help with mods...

Postby burkbuilds » Sat Jul 23, 2011 12:01 pm

Maybe I'm stating the obvious, but if you weren't having any trouble with it until you started changing the carb jets, I'd go back to how it was before the change.

Triangles
Site Admin
I ride: '94 Black Cherry Vulcan 500, '06 Candyfire Red Vulcan 500 LTD

Postby Triangles » Sat Jul 23, 2011 9:08 pm

are you talkin K&N pod filters or the replacement filter for the stock air box?

Sounds to me like you didn't put something back together right and have something screwed up with ur carbs. I don't remember how big a jump the jet kit is from stock, but it shouldn't cause what you're describing if all you did was swap out the jets and drop in the replacement filter? If you did any more than this you need to give us more info.
ImageImage

mattheww1377
I ride: 2007 black ghostflamed vulcan 500 ltd

Postby mattheww1377 » Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:44 am

nothing more.. I swapped the jets to 122 the small ones in the kit, and it helped some but if i run a full throttle pass it still dies.. I take the k&n out and she runs fine. the stock jets were 102. It acts like it is running out of fuel with the k&n in, but a swap to smaller jets seems to help.. The kit had me to drill out the slide lift hole so i am worried about going back to the stock jet size.. Thanks for the help.

Triangles
Site Admin
I ride: '94 Black Cherry Vulcan 500, '06 Candyfire Red Vulcan 500 LTD

Postby Triangles » Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:39 pm

I have K&N pods on my '94 with the same jet kit installed by a PO. I tweaked the jets so I have an idea of what you're going thru. I'm gonna guess you're flooding it with too much gas maybe... I believe the hole drilled in the slide lift simply allows the slide lifts to react quicker. I believe leaving the air filter out leaves a big hole in the side of the air box which will cause a significant drop in intake pressure and lean the mixture out. That would explain your situation. Unless you modified the intake, I wouldn't go past a 108-110 jet as I would think it would be too rich. I got jets from http://jetsrus.com I don't know what they have now but they used to have a Jetsrus.com brand and genuine OEM. They had an equivalency chart on their website which said what Dynojet Jet was equivilent to in OEM. In other words, a Dynojet 140 is not the same as a Keihin 140 jet. If ur sure nothing else is wrong with your carbs. I'd try getting the next 3 or 5 jets larger than your stock size and do some trial and error with the K&N filter in. You really don't need much larger jets unless you open up the intake. I would recommend NOT doing this. At best you might get a little quicker punch off the line and negligible HP increase at the expense of 10-15 mpg drop or even worse. Messing with carbs seems to be a black art better left to those with infinite patience and a large wallet to try all the various jets until you find the right one!
ImageImage

Return to “General Troubleshooting”