Best replacement fork seals?

Wheels, tires, suspension, forks, and brakes.
Triangles
Site Admin
I ride: '94 Black Cherry Vulcan 500, '06 Candyfire Red Vulcan 500 LTD

Best replacement fork seals?

Postby Triangles » Thu May 20, 2010 2:10 pm

I am going to bravely attempt to replace my own fork seals. doesn't look to hard, just a lot of work. I've scoured the net to see if there's anything better than OEM seals and it doesn't seem that there is. I was thinking about trying seals made by All Balls. Several people have recommended OEM over the "Leak Proof" brand. Does anyone have any experience with fork seals and have any recommendations?
ImageImage

burkbuilds

Re: Best replacement fork seals?

Postby burkbuilds » Sun May 23, 2010 8:12 pm

I don't have any recommendations for you, sorry, but, how many years/miles did you get out of the OEM's?

Triangles
Site Admin
I ride: '94 Black Cherry Vulcan 500, '06 Candyfire Red Vulcan 500 LTD

Postby Triangles » Sun May 23, 2010 10:48 pm

My '94 i just got last November. Prior to 2009 the bike sat for about 10 years. The original owner was in the service and supposedly bought the bike in Hawaii. The bike was in sad shape and had been partially restored by the guy I bought it from. It had just under 10K miles and supposedly the seals were replaced last summer as part of restoring the bike. I had only ridden it 150 mi or so home. Over the winter when I was stripping it down to paint the frame one of the seals started leaking. So either the guy lied and just replace the dust seals or there must be some pitting from corrosion that tore up the seal. So in theory it had less than 700 miles on the new seal.

My 2006 has about 7,500 mi. on the clock and the original seals are still in excellent condition.

In doing research about seals it seemed like most people said you should get 30-50K miles out of a set of fork seals.
ImageImage

burkbuilds

Postby burkbuilds » Mon May 24, 2010 12:03 am

Thanks for the information. So far I've got right at 15,000 on my 09 and they are fine, but I had no idea how long they potentially could go. I try to keep the chrome waxed and cleaned really good there to help avoid any more abrasion than necessary.

Jablonsky

Postby Jablonsky » Mon May 24, 2010 1:33 am

burkbuilds wrote:...I try to keep the chrome waxed and cleaned really good there to help avoid any more abrasion than necessary.

These little and unexpensive things help to keep it clean.

No hay banda. No hay Jablonsky. Todo está grabado. Nada es lo que parece, todo es una ilusión.

Return to “Wheels - Suspension & Brakes”