Convert From Tube-type to Tube-less Tires

Wheels, tires, suspension, forks, and brakes.
Ray
I ride: 2007 Kawasaki Vulcan en500 LTD

Convert From Tube-type to Tube-less Tires

Postby Ray » Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:56 am

Okay, I admit it. I'm a flippin' MC addict! Okay. Now what? Anyway, I picked up piece of glass in my rear tire. It's a tube-type tire and it will be 9 whole days before I can get it fixed since I don't have a jack or time to fix it myself. This totally sucks. It's riding season, and I'm driving the "mommy mobile" to work, and no early morning rides on the weekend. Wah! :( Okay, enough blubbering. I've placed an order for a Michelin Commander II through one of the local shops, but now have seen that small line on the side of the original vulcan tire that says "Tubetype" tire. Does anybody know if there are problems with converting that rim to a TubeLESS tire?

Any other suggestions besides "Suck it up, cupcake!" ?

charnotx
I ride: 1999 Blue/Black Vulcan 500 LTD

Re: Convert From Tube-type to Tube-less Tires

Postby charnotx » Sun Jul 05, 2015 9:29 am

Someone else might jump in and correct me, but I'm fairly certain there is no issue making the switch. But if you have spoke rims you still have to install a tube into the tubeless tire, just like you would a tube tire.

AKrider
I ride: '93 Vulcan 500, '06 Honda Rebel, '81 CX 500

Postby AKrider » Sun Jul 05, 2015 4:31 pm

You are correct charnotx, in addition Michelin even lists the Commander II as being able to be installed with tubes on their website.

http://motorcycle.michelinman.com/advic ... recautions

Ray

I like the Commander II, great wear so far and handling is great wet or dry, good choice.

I realize you are replacing the tire due to a puncture, I recommend always installing a new tube and rim strip every time you replace a tire on spoked wheels. Patching of tubes is only a "get you home" practice, although I have spent a long time "getting home" but IMO its cheap insurance and not worth the gamble.
We are what we repeatedly do, excellence is a habit.

GeorgiaRider

Postby GeorgiaRider » Sat Jul 11, 2015 10:43 am

Ray,

You'll have to replace the wheels if you want to switch to tubeless tires. That is one thing I don't like about this bike, but that's about it...

I've read some posts on this forum or maybe others about guys finding older EN-500 bikes and buying the wheels and converting them over.

Good luck.
GeorgiaRider
2006 Vulcan 500

Kuryakyan Foot Peg Extenders and Pegs
Memphis Shades Alley Cat Windshield
Saddlemen Large Slant Saddlebags
Powersports Mini-Tachometer
Kawasaki Luggage Rack
Kuryakyan Iso-Grips
Airhawk cushion
Marlin's Clock

Ray
I ride: 2007 Kawasaki Vulcan en500 LTD

Postby Ray » Sat Jul 11, 2015 3:10 pm

Thanks for the info. I've decided to just leave it as it is and bring along a tire repair kit instead of plugs on the long road trips. I can fill the tube with some type of slime (not the "Slime" brand), and use C02 to get it back for tube replacement. For now, however, I've had a new tube and new tire (Michelin Commander II) installed. No more repair shop stuff, though. They busted up my auto chain oiler of course. I'm getting a jack and doing my own repair next time.

bikerbill
I ride: 1997 Vulcan 500LTD named Hidalgo

Postby bikerbill » Wed Jul 22, 2015 10:40 pm

After 16 years with zero flat tires I have had two within the past three months. Both times the problem was related to the tube. (see this thread for details: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=677 ) Because of this I have made the decision to do away with the tube, at least on the rear. I found a cast rear wheel on ebay for a '91 EN500A. Installation is exactly the same as the original spoked wheel. In fact I made the swap tonight in preparation for a 750 mile round trip this weekend to my nephew's wedding in Truth or Consequences, NM.

As added insurance I have added Ride-On Tire Sealant to both tires. www.ride-on.com

I took a 10 mile test ride to distribute the sealant and to check the feel of the 'new to me' wheel. So far, So good.
--
'Biker' Bill
'97 EN500LTD 'Hidalgo'
269,000+ miles so far
VROC #3833
IBA #635

SlipStreamer Enterprise II, Vista Cruise,
Cobra Spots, Drifter solo seat,
Pro-Tac backrest, ScottOiler,
F&S luggage rack, LED lights,
4-gal AUX fuel tank

Triangles
Site Admin
I ride: '94 Black Cherry Vulcan 500, '06 Candyfire Red Vulcan 500 LTD

Postby Triangles » Fri Jul 24, 2015 1:45 pm

FYI the 454 LTD wheels work too. However if you do the front you need the speedo adapter from the EN500A or 454 LTD

bikerbill wrote:As added insurance I have added Ride-On Tire Sealant to both tires. http://www.ride-on.com

I took a 10 mile test ride to distribute the sealant and to check the feel of the 'new to me' wheel. So far, So good.

Doesn't that stuff muck up your rim and make changing the tire a messy PITA? I had thought about adding that but I change my own tires and don't want to have a slimy mess complicate tire changes.

update:
I'm highly skeptical the inside of the tire would be this neat especially after a year. I may try it though for my next tires.

Also what makes this better than the Slime brand? I don't see how it could be that much better that it's worth 2x the cost...
ImageImage

bikerbill
I ride: 1997 Vulcan 500LTD named Hidalgo

Postby bikerbill » Fri Jul 24, 2015 3:06 pm

Triangles,

One difference I see is that Ride-on is rated for highway use. I have never seen that declaration from Slime.
--
'Biker' Bill
'97 EN500LTD 'Hidalgo'
269,000+ miles so far
VROC #3833
IBA #635

SlipStreamer Enterprise II, Vista Cruise,
Cobra Spots, Drifter solo seat,
Pro-Tac backrest, ScottOiler,
F&S luggage rack, LED lights,
4-gal AUX fuel tank

Return to “Wheels - Suspension & Brakes”