Removing triple tree and forks

Wheels, tires, suspension, forks, and brakes.
charnotx
I ride: 1999 Blue/Black Vulcan 500 LTD

Removing triple tree and forks

Postby charnotx » Mon May 11, 2015 11:28 am

Hi y'all,

So I was in a collision about a week ago, and luckily made it out ok. Thankful for always wearing my gear. Anyways, I was fortunate in only having damage to the front end of the bike, and nothing else. So I'll be replacing the headlights, turn signals, forks, etc. Likely the whole front end just swapped from a donor.

Well my question was if anyone had advice for removing the triple tree and forks from the bike? I.e. what size is the top nut on the forks and triple tree, and do I need to worry about loss bearings, etc.? I'm still looking into what front end I'll be putting on the bike, but it will probably be a set of forks from an old 1980 GS550E I have behind the shop...

Anyways, thanks in advance for any tips or tricks, and any known workable part swaps for the front end that aren't in the parts exchange.

Triangles
Site Admin
I ride: '94 Black Cherry Vulcan 500, '06 Candyfire Red Vulcan 500 LTD

Re: Removing triple tree and forks

Postby Triangles » Wed May 13, 2015 3:09 pm

You might want to check the stop post for the handlebars. When I got in my wreck it bent the stop post and partially broke a weld near it. A local body shop made quick work of bending it back straight and welding it back up.
ImageImage

charnotx
I ride: 1999 Blue/Black Vulcan 500 LTD

Re: Removing triple tree and forks

Postby charnotx » Fri May 15, 2015 7:05 pm

Good to know, I'll definitely check that out. I haven't seen anything yet, but Im making sure to take my time around it. I will say it is remarkable to me so little damage occurred given the impact. The only thing that I saw behind the front end was the carbs had come unseated, but that's just a matter of getting them back in place.

Return to “Wheels - Suspension & Brakes”