Swingarm spools on the 500?

Wheels, tires, suspension, forks, and brakes.
Turbojoe
I ride: 2004 Vulcan 500

Swingarm spools on the 500?

Postby Turbojoe » Sun Jun 29, 2014 10:52 am

I've got the Harbor Freight swingarm lift and it works ok. The problem is the mufflers are so far back that the lift pads are barely on the and of the swingarm. The bike has slid off a few times while lubing the chain. Luckily the kickstand stayed down and it didn't fall over. Most sport bikes use spools for the lifts and they are infinitely more secure. Just wondering if anyone has added spools to their EN-500C. Harbor Freight used to sell spools for about $6.00 but I don't see them on the web site anymore or I'd grab a set and experiment. I just don't want to go drilling on the swingarm if someone has already found that they won't work.

Joe
The nonsensical ravings of a lunatic mind.....

2004 Vulcan 500

Triangles
Site Admin
I ride: '94 Black Cherry Vulcan 500, '06 Candyfire Red Vulcan 500 LTD

Re: Swingarm spools on the 500?

Postby Triangles » Mon Jun 30, 2014 7:19 am

I use this HF lift. I cut out a 2x4 to rest on the frame in between the x-over pipe and rear of the oil pan. I also cut out a piece of plywood to attach to the 2x4 as the 2x4 wasn't thick enough for my liking. I lift with one pad on this wood spacer and the other under the front of the oil pan. Works like a charm and is surprisingly stable. The majority of the weigh is carried by the wood spacer (ie the weight is not centered). This makes removing the rear swing arm easy! And a steal of a deal at $79.99 ($99 sale - 20% coupon). I'll edit this post with picts later.

Before this, I made "jack stands" out of scrap wood when I had my first bike that I also used on the vulcan 500. See this how-to on GZ250.com The rear brake cable interferes a little with the left jack stand. It bent the metal rod cable end on mine a little but it worked just fine and the cost was right!

I think either of the two above options would be preferential to drilling holes in your swing arm!
ImageImage

Turbojoe
I ride: 2004 Vulcan 500

Postby Turbojoe » Mon Jun 30, 2014 2:18 pm

I have the yellow version of that lift as well and it works great but it's a major pain to drag it out just for lubing the chain. My storage situation is not the best so I only drag the lift out for oil and tire changes. I can get by with the other lift but I just don't trust it. The spools would be so much more secure. I gotta think about this.....

Joe
The nonsensical ravings of a lunatic mind.....

2004 Vulcan 500

Triangles
Site Admin
I ride: '94 Black Cherry Vulcan 500, '06 Candyfire Red Vulcan 500 LTD

Postby Triangles » Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:02 pm

I'll throw out another suggestion. Get a loobman chain oiler. every other gas tank or so give the button a press before going on a ride and your chain keeps lubed up. The chain may get dirty but will stay properly lubed. Your actual chain cleaning interval can then be several thousand miles instead of hundreds.
ImageImage

Return to “Wheels - Suspension & Brakes”