Rear Axle Rear Tire Replacement Issue

Wheels, tires, suspension, forks, and brakes.
vagabond
I ride: 2004 EN500c ltd

Rear Axle Rear Tire Replacement Issue

Postby vagabond » Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:15 pm

Hey all. I just replaced my rear tire. I greased the axle, aligned the axle, but for some reason my rim and brake are grinding. I cannot figure out why. I was wondering if anyone could upload pictures of their Vulcan rear axle setup to make sure I put the washer and collar and bearings on correctly. I tried uploading my own images but the server wouldn't let me from the website. Any help would be most appreciated. And I will do my best to try and figure out a way to upload pics soon, but here is a text description of how I put the axleon:

Axle is inserted from the left, into the sprocket and through the brake.
The collar is placed in between the brakes and the swing arm on the right side. The washer is placed between the swing arm and the axle lug nut with a hairpin at the end. Should the washer be placed in between the brake and the collar? Does the lug nut need to be tightened more? I looked up the schematics from partzilla.com and I believed I did it right, but can not imagine why the brake and rim are grinding.

Cheers for any help.

Triangles
Site Admin
I ride: '94 Black Cherry Vulcan 500, '06 Candyfire Red Vulcan 500 LTD

Re: Rear Axle Rear Tire Replacement Issue

Postby Triangles » Fri Jun 20, 2014 2:55 pm

sounds like you got it right. From right to left it goes: pin, castle nut, washer, swing arm, spacer, brake assy, wheel, damper assy, spacer, swing arm, axel bolt head. I would take it apart again to make sure you don't have something stuck in between the shoe and drum (wheel). Also when you have it apart make sure shoes are on right. Maybe a retainer/spring came off.

P.S. if you are trying to add an image that is already on the web simply use the "Img" button. The code should look like [ img]www.imageurl.com\image.jpg[/img ] except there isn't spaces as shown in the beginning/end. Alternative you can click the "click here to add an image to your post" link located just below the text entry field. This takes you to postimage.org to upload your images and drops the code in the text entry field for you. As a 3rd option you can upload the image to the post by using the "upload attachment" section below the text entry field. PM me if you need help.
ImageImage

vagabond
I ride: 2004 EN500c ltd

Re: Rear Axle Rear Tire Replacement Issue

Postby vagabond » Sun Jun 22, 2014 6:38 pm

RESOLVED: Problem wasn't with my placement, the damn break cable went out and seized the rear brake. Replacing it on Wed. Luckily I drove less than 30 miles before I realized there was a problem.

Return to “Wheels - Suspension & Brakes”