Vulcan 500 Fork Replacement... Is it an easy fix?

Wheels, tires, suspension, forks, and brakes.
kpants
I ride: Vulcan 500

Vulcan 500 Fork Replacement... Is it an easy fix?

Postby kpants » Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:40 am

So this guy that I'm buying this bike from says the bike is brand new and it would be worth my time (not his?) to take this bike off his hands and just replace the fork myself, apparently he crashed it into a stop sign and broke both forks, although he said he kept one intact and put together for reference. I'd like to know if an average joe can fix this, I'd like to think I can, the bike has 2k miles on it! Any or all comments are greatly appreciated 8-) , aka, how hard are the tools to come by for this fix, can I just order the parts somewhere and put it together using a manual, I'm pretty fix savy.

Triangles
Site Admin
I ride: '94 Black Cherry Vulcan 500, '06 Candyfire Red Vulcan 500 LTD

Re: Vulcan 500 Fork Replacement... Is it an easy fix?

Postby Triangles » Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:06 pm

what year and is there any other damage to the bike? More likely than not more than just the fork tubes are are damaged. Complete new forks will likely cost more than the bike would be worth if it were't damaged. New inner fork tubes (the chromed steel upper half of the forks) can be had for about $300. Assuming some of the internal bits also need to be replaced I would put parts cost in the $500 ball park. You can probably get used forks off ebay for about $200, but then you're gambling that they don't have leaky seals or aren't corroded beyond being usable. http://vulcan500.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=39&start=15 look toward the end for what is involved in assembly and disassembly.

I would talk to a shop and have them give you a ballpark estimate of what it might cost to have them fix it. Then use that as a starting point in negotiating a price for the bike. If the bike has other damage it's probably not worth much of anything and should probably be stripped and sold off as parts.

if your patient and keep track of what parts go where a shade tree mechanic can handle disassembling and reassembling forks.
ImageImage

Return to “Wheels - Suspension & Brakes”