EN500A stainless steel brake line.

Wheels, tires, suspension, forks, and brakes.
Triangles
Site Admin
I ride: '94 Black Cherry Vulcan 500, '06 Candyfire Red Vulcan 500 LTD

EN500A stainless steel brake line.

Postby Triangles » Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:26 am

I replaced my aging 16 year old brake line. You should be able to find all the parts you need for about $60. I figured I'd upgrade to the stainless steel brake line like I had done on my first bike. From what I gather Goodridge and Biker's Choice are the two options for "universal" brake lines. I chose Biker's Choice for the brake line since they are cheaper. Goodridge Banjo fittings which I used are compatible with the Biker's Choice brake lines.

My local shop has the catalogs on their web store. It's easier to find the parts by putting the part#'s below in the search window at the top of the page. Instead of trying to browse the catalogs
Parts:
1 Biker's Choice 43" stainless steel universal clear coated brake hoses. part # 035943
go to biker's choice.com click on online catalog. I bought mine out of the '10 catalog page 536. but I"m sure it's in the 2011 as well.
2 Goodridge 10mm-3/8" straight bango fittings part # 036051
1 Goodridge 6pk 10mm-3/8" copper crush washers part # 44516-6

If I were doing this over I probably would have used the 42" line (# 035942) since the 43" line seemed to be a bit on the long side.

I reused the banjo bolts as I saw no need to replace them with new. For the curved bracket on the left fork that directs the brake line to the right side of the front forks I had some fuel line laying around that turned out to be the perfect diameter. (I want to say it's 3/16" ID) I slit the fuel line length wise and slipped it over the brake line and zip tied it to the bracket. (picture coming soon)

You may notice that on the stock hose there is a very slight bend in the banjo fitting by the master cylinder. I tried using the bent banjo fittings but they were bent too far. The straight fitting ended up working better.

I also rebuilt the master cylinder and installed new pads at the same time I replaced the brake line. My front brake went from barely stopping me to stopping on a dime!
ImageImage

AKrider
I ride: '93 Vulcan 500, '06 Honda Rebel, '81 CX 500

Re: EN500A stainless steel brake line.

Postby AKrider » Thu Jun 11, 2015 8:07 pm

Thanks for the great info Triangles, I went with the 42" line and had to bend the bracket an the fork a bit to get my brake line to reach comfortably at full fork extension but it's perfect for normal riding, an easy mod with big improvement in front brake effectiveness, those master cylinders are so tiny that any flex in the hose costs you when applying the brake and this solves the problem. Thanks again!
We are what we repeatedly do, excellence is a habit.

Return to “Wheels - Suspension & Brakes”