Anyone interested in an EN500A "Overdrive" belt pulley?

Slipping clutch, transmission nightmares, gearing or belt conversions and modifications go here.
Triangles
Site Admin
I ride: '94 Black Cherry Vulcan 500, '06 Candyfire Red Vulcan 500 LTD

Anyone interested in an EN500A "Overdrive" belt pulley?

Postby Triangles » Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:45 pm

For all you first gen owners out there. Would you be interested in an "overdrive" pulley to drop your freeway RPM? We may soon have a source if all goes well. The stock final drive ratio is 2.72 depending on clearances we should be able to get at least 2.43 maybe as tall as 2.27.
ImageImage

Triangles
Site Admin

Re: Anyone interested in an EN500A "Overdrive" belt pulley?

Postby Triangles » Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:46 pm

As many of you have probably been wondering whatever happened with this. I was working with Scootworks. I sent them at their request my front pulley to see if they could prototype a larger front pulley. I initially was told this would only take a few days. Which turned into months and many excuses. They couldn't even be bothered to send MY pulley back. They have essentially stolen my front pulley, not to mention cost me half a summer of not being able to ride my '94 EN500A until I gave up and went out and bought another front pulley. After seeing how/if the pulley for the EN500A had worked out, I had hoped to give their EN500C belt conversion a try and post a write up about it. As you can probably guess this will now never happen. They will never see a dime from me and I can't in good faith recommend a company that behaves like this to anyone. It's a shame as they have some interesting products for the Vulcan 500 LTD. I had looked into developing my own belt conversion. I had it all figured out and parts sourced but I doubt I'll ever have the free time to follow thru on it. Besides, I have other projects that interest me more.
ImageImage

Leaf
I ride: '94 Maroon Vulcan EN500-A6, '05 Black Honda CMX250C

Postby Leaf » Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:58 am

I think the stock ratio is about perfect for the type of riding I do, anyway. :3

burkbuilds

Postby burkbuilds » Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:33 pm

Wow Triangles, I can't believe they wouldn't even send your pulley back to you, what jerks. I've purchased items from them in the past, but after the way they've treated you I will now abstain from any future purchases.

citadel vulcan
I ride: '96 EN500A7

Postby citadel vulcan » Mon Apr 28, 2014 1:26 am

I wonder if a Vulcan 900 pulley will work. Unless what I'm finding is wrong, the front pulley has an extra 7 teeth which would drop the gearing to 2.125 or if we could use the rear with 2 less teeth which would render a gearing of 2.64. Both are an improvement over the 2.72 factory. I think I'm going to dig into this after I get my bike to quit running so damned rich.
'96 EN500A7 (Pod filters, Dynojet Stage 3 w/ 136 mains, Dyna Mufflers, Custom dented tank)
'00 Jeep XJ Cherokee 4.0L 4x4 (6" JY lift, Locked Front, 31" MTs, Cowl Snorkel, Cherry Bomb, Offroad bumpers, Superwinch 9500lb winch, LED Lights

Triangles
Site Admin

Postby Triangles » Tue Apr 29, 2014 6:40 am

My friend has a Vulcan 900 and IIRC the belt is totally different and I guarantee +7 teeth up front wont fit! Next time I see his bike, I'll double check. I did pick up a KZ750 front pulley. It was available in belt version '82-'83. It has +3 teeth up front for 28 teeth. It doesn't look like it will fit from my preliminary inspection where I didn't remove my front pulley. It might after some machining though. Unfortunately I'm too busy with other stuff and won't have time to follow up till later this summer. Since the spline pattern on the output shaft is fairly common, I have been looking for other Asian motorcycles with belt final drives with taller gearing that might be adapted to the EN500A. Unfortunately I have yet to find a viable candidate :(
ImageImage

Return to “Transmission - Rear End”