Strange Vibrations

Slipping clutch, transmission nightmares, gearing or belt conversions and modifications go here.
bikerbill
I ride: 1997 Vulcan 500LTD named Hidalgo

Strange Vibrations

Postby bikerbill » Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:09 pm

Well the high-dollar Tsubaki Sigma chain ain't what the previous Tsubaki Omega was. This one lasted about half of what the previous chain lasted. (22k vs 43k miles) Maybe it had to do with all that 2-up riding with Daniel.

For the past year I have been trying to figure out a surge/vibration issue at highway speed. (between 50-65mph) I thought I had the surge solved when I found the final drive chain loose and adjusted it to spec. Shortly after this I began noticing a rhythmic vibration whenever I got the chain adjusted properly.

Fast forward to a few weeks ago. I checked the drive chain and found it correct but when I backed Hidalgo out of the garage I looked down and saw that it was *very* loose. Move back some more and it was correct. Move back some more and it was loose. Darn it!! The chain is wearing unevenly!! It's time for a new chain.

Before removing the old chain I measured the difference between tight and loose:
Tight: 1 1/4" deflection
Loose: 2 1/2" deflection

Measuring the chain shows that it is at the wear limit of 12.7" for 21-pins. Some measured a little more and some measured a little less.
See the attached pic for wear of the Master Link.

I wasn't able to locate another Tsubaki so I went with a JT Sprockets X1R HD X-ring chain. We'll see how well it lasts.
Attachments
Worn Master Link.jpg
Worn Master Link.jpg (70.65 KiB) Viewed 8090 times
--
'Biker' Bill
'97 EN500LTD 'Hidalgo'
269,000+ miles so far
VROC #3833
IBA #635

SlipStreamer Enterprise II, Vista Cruise,
Cobra Spots, Drifter solo seat,
Pro-Tac backrest, ScottOiler,
F&S luggage rack, LED lights,
4-gal AUX fuel tank

bikerbill
I ride: 1997 Vulcan 500LTD named Hidalgo

Re: Strange Vibrations

Postby bikerbill » Sun Mar 13, 2022 11:05 am

Update on JT Sprockets X1R HD X-ring chain:

This chain is JUNK!

I was only able to get about 7,000 miles from each of them. I ran the first on 'not new' sprockets and it began wearing unevenly. So I installed a new chain AND sprockets and got the same.

I now run a Regina XRP Z-ring chain and am getting over 20,000 miles out of them. The current one has about 21,000 miles on it.

I still use J-T Sprockets for their sprockets. I DO NOT recommend their chain.
--
'Biker' Bill
'97 EN500LTD 'Hidalgo'
269,000+ miles so far
VROC #3833
IBA #635

SlipStreamer Enterprise II, Vista Cruise,
Cobra Spots, Drifter solo seat,
Pro-Tac backrest, ScottOiler,
F&S luggage rack, LED lights,
4-gal AUX fuel tank

Return to “Transmission - Rear End”