transmission noise

Slipping clutch, transmission nightmares, gearing or belt conversions and modifications go here.
dmsmith
I ride: 2000 Vulcan 500 LTD

transmission noise

Postby dmsmith » Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:28 am

In need of advice. My bike started making a "cluncking" sound a few weeks ago when accelerating. I was hoping I'd simply let the drive chain get a little loose and it was hitting against the frame. Not the case. I took it to the bike shop and they believe the tranny in going out. I can't feel a jerk or anything like that when it makes the sound. It's a year 2000 with 35,000 miles. I just put new sprockets (17/40) and drive chain on it last fall. Has anyone had any experience with this? thanks. dale

Triangles
Site Admin
I ride: '94 Black Cherry Vulcan 500, '06 Candyfire Red Vulcan 500 LTD

Re: transmission noise

Postby Triangles » Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:43 pm

The one sure way to determine if your transmission is eating itself is to do an oil change and see if there are sparkles in your oil. If there are then you are SOL and it's only a matter of time before it eats itself. It's probably easier/cheaper to just get a used engine than to try and fix the transmission. you could also maybe see if there are any sparkles in the oil in the oil lever sight glass. The only other failure I could see making funny noises would be a slipping clutch under acceleration but I've got no experience with a clutch going bad.

Oh wait, since you said the chain and sprockets are new, maybe you've got a stiff master link? Take the chain off the rear sprocket so you can bend each link by hand and see if any are stiff. Also maybe double check that the front sprocket isn't coming loose. Hope it's something simple and cheap. Let us know what you find.
ImageImage

dmsmith

Postby dmsmith » Thu Jul 06, 2017 7:31 am

Triangles, thanks a bunch for the suggestions. I changed oil a few weeks ago before I noticed the sound being consistent and stupidly dumped it in with other waste oil. But I'll take a look at it anyway, and check the window. We did check the front sprocket but didn't think about the chain. Man, that would be a blessing is the master link was stiff! I thought about the clutch slipping but assumed I could feel a little jerk, or at least a vibration, when that happened. But I haven't experienced that either.

I'm taking it to another mechanic some friends recommended to get a second opinion. Thanks again!

dmsmith

Postby dmsmith » Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:17 am

You might just be a genius. The problem appears to be the chain. I rode it to warm the chain up, cleaned it off, worked it a little bit, lubed it within a inch of it's life, and the noise is gone. Let it set overnight and rode it to work (30 miles) this morning and still can't hear anything. You said you hope it's a cheap easy fix. It doesn't get any cheaper and easier than this. Thanks again for advice!! If you let me know your favorite restaurant and what town it's in I'll see that a gift certificate is waiting there for you!

Triangles
Site Admin

Postby Triangles » Fri Jul 07, 2017 3:47 pm

Awesome! Glad I could help. While I always appreciate a free meal, I'd be happier to accept a donation towards paying for this sites next hosting bill. PM me if you're interested in chipping in. FYI I'm just a fellow rider (not a web guy) who made this forum out of frustration at the lack of a forum for the Vulcan 500. Someday I'll figure out how to get ads and a donation button to help defray the cost of this forum.
ImageImage

dmsmith

Postby dmsmith » Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:56 am

Good Morning. It won't let me PM due to being new to the site. Is it OK for me to send you my email address in a reply right here? I don't want to break any rules.

Triangles
Site Admin

Postby Triangles » Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:10 am

I don't care if you post your email but I wouldn't do it. Some spam bot will likely read it and you'll likely end up getting more spam. I sent you a PM you should be able to respond to. If not you can email me by using my username at vulcan500 . com. Hopefully you can figure that out and it foils any spam bots reading this post.
ImageImage

Return to “Transmission - Rear End”