Master Link Clip Disappears

Slipping clutch, transmission nightmares, gearing or belt conversions and modifications go here.
bikerbill
I ride: 1997 Vulcan 500LTD named Hidalgo

Master Link Clip Disappears

Postby bikerbill » Sat Oct 24, 2015 1:01 pm

I have an issue that has been puzzling me for a long time. The Master Link Clip disappears! The Master link itself has Never come apart nor do I know about the missing clip until I inspect the chain for cleaning or adjustment. I am installing the clip with the opening to the 'back'. I am in west Texas where the speed limits are high and the roads straight. The bike is a very high mileage '97 Vulcan 500LTD.

One of the chains that I noticed this on was a Tsubaki Omega X-ring 520. I was on a business trip when someone in a group noticed it. An instructor at the nearby motorcycle college 'safety wired' it. That wire stayed intact for a very long time but eventually came apart about the time the chain needed to be replaced, at 43,000 miles. The current chain is a Tsubaki Sigma 520 with about 10,000 miles on it. Another time, very long ago, it happened with a Regina chain. These are just a few examples but this has been happening all 'her' life.

What ideas do you have that would ensure that the clip stays in place? (other than the obvious of using an 'endless chain' without a Master Link)

TIA
--
'Biker' Bill
'97 EN500LTD 'Hidalgo'
270,000+ miles so far
VROC #3833
IBA #635

SlipStreamer Enterprise II, Vista Cruise,
Cobra Spots, Drifter solo seat,
Pro-Tac backrest, ScottOiler,
F&S luggage rack, LED lights,
4-gal AUX fuel tank

Triangles
Site Admin
I ride: '94 Black Cherry Vulcan 500, '06 Candyfire Red Vulcan 500 LTD

Re: Master Link Clip Disappears

Postby Triangles » Mon Oct 26, 2015 2:40 pm

That is exactly why I bought a chain tool and buy rivet master links. I don't trust those clip master links with my life. I'm happy yours hasn't come completely apart on you. I can only imagine the disaster if the chain comes apart on the freeway and locks up your rear wheel. I'd recommend you buy the chain tool and get some rivet master links. The chain I got (EK xring or something like that) comes with two shims that you put around the orings so you don't accidentally smash the orings when you crush the rivet heads. You then have no more risk of the master link comping apart than you do any other link in the chain.

After my first experience with a belt conversion getting stranded on the side of the road 370 miles from home, I wanted to carry my good chain and sprockets so I can do a roadside repair to get home if needed. It took more work than I expected with a grinder to remove the rivet heads on the master link to open the chain again. That way I can reuse the chain with a new master link when the scootworks belt conversion fails on me again.
ImageImage

Return to “Transmission - Rear End”