Best size sprockets for highway riding

Slipping clutch, transmission nightmares, gearing or belt conversions and modifications go here.
sikatrix500cc
I ride: 2000 Kawasaki Vulcan 500

Best size sprockets for highway riding

Postby sikatrix500cc » Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:15 pm

What is the largest front and smallest rear sprocket I can put on a 2000 kawi vulcan en500 to get the best out of my top end without totally cripplng my acceleration. See im gonna be traveling at 65-75+ everyday on the interstate to get to class and traveling great distance to go camping and just to travel and have a good time and feel the freedon of the open road. So ill be mostly on the highway and need better topend for less engine stress less noise and better mpg. Thanks all in advance :-) love this site. Oh and one more question.... Are there any tires you'd recommend for highway riding and I guess ok for damp road that wont destroy my wallet haha.
Thanks,
Will aka "sik"

Triangles
Site Admin
I ride: '94 Black Cherry Vulcan 500, '06 Candyfire Red Vulcan 500 LTD

Re: Best size sprockets for highway riding

Postby Triangles » Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:31 pm

scoot works makes a belt conversion for the vulcan 500 LTD that has a ratio of 2.22(or something very close to that) I was going to actually try their belt conversion... that was until they stole my front pulley to my '94 vulcan 500. as such I have nothing positive to say about them. They will never see a dime from me and anyone who asks me about them I'll recommend they spend their money elsewhere. ok sorry about that little side rant. Ok back to final drive ratios:
2.625 stock (16 front /42 rear)
2.22 scootworks
2.35 tallest sprockets available (17 front / 40 rear)
2.24 Early 90's ninja rear hub (17 front / 38 rear) Click this link to go to my thread discussing it.
If you have excel you can download the spreadsheet linked in the file. with it you can play around with different sprocket ratios to see how it affects your RPM's. Burkbuilds has the 17/40 setup. he rides all freeway and has nothing but positive things to say. Having made the leap myself all the way with 17/38 setup I can say I love it and will never go back to stock! With stock gearing I can cruise in 6th gear in the mid 30's mph (approx 3k rpm) as a minimum speed for 6th gear. Now it's just under 50mph and I have to down shift to 5th gear which makes 6th more of a true freeway gear. The bike has noticeably less vibration on the freeway. I haven't gone much above 80mph which I could cruise all day at. I find myself riding faster now probably because I was used to the higher RPMs and vibration. As expected throttle response isn't as responsive. If I needed to shoot up to 95mph really quick for some reason, all I would have to do is drop down to 5th gear (which is approximately equal to stock 6th gear).

If you don't know how many miles are on the chain, now would be a good time to buy a new chain. You wouldn't want to prematurely wear new sprockets with an old stretched chain. With your stock chain (110 links) I'd go for the 17/40 setup. I don't know if it's really worth the expense to find a early 90's rear hub and rubber dampers just to get that rear down to a 38t sprocket. If you do go this route you will need to go with a 108 link chain.

As for tires, I was pleased with the oem bridgestones I got 12K miles out of them. I just got a new set of Pirelli's that are good so far, but we'll see how long they last. If you're going to be putting on a lot of miles you might consider the Darkside! there is a thread on here about doing just that.
ImageImage

Leaf
I ride: '94 Maroon Vulcan EN500-A6, '05 Black Honda CMX250C

Postby Leaf » Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:09 am

I truly intend no disrespect, but I've been pulling 30 miles each way to work every day at 65-70 with the stock pulleys on a 500A (2.7:1, I think?), and that seems to be the speed it likes to ride at, even with that high a ratio. It'll easily hit 95-100 when passing tractor trailers without trying too awful hard. I think that lowering the ratio will do nothing but reduce the amount of giddyup you have available when you get on it hard in the higher gears, and if you get too low you won't even be able to push it past the peak of the powerband in high gear (my old Honda 250 suffered from this problem really badly). Your gearing will be taller too, and you'll have a harder time staying in the right gear to keep the power peaking.

I'm not trying to impugn upon yourall's experimentation or anything, don't get me wrong. I just think Kawi had the gearing on these things balanced out about as good as it can get stock from the factory.

Triangles
Site Admin

Postby Triangles » Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:20 pm

Leaf wrote:I truly intend no disrespect,....I think that lowering the ratio will do nothing but reduce the amount of giddyup you have available when you get on it hard in the higher gears,.....Your gearing will be taller too, and you'll have a harder time staying in the right gear to keep the power peaking.

No disrespect taken. :) You're right the whole point of lowering the ratio is to reduce the amount of "giddyup" by lower your RPM's. This reduces the amount of vibration and at least in theory gives you a MPG boost. Unless you are drag racing (if you are, you bought the wrong bike) and need your gears very close together, there is no downside to spreading out the gears a little and no issues keeping the engine in the power band. Keep in mind the Honda VLX 600cc gets by just fine with 2 fewer gears than us.

For me the whole point of lowering the final drive ratio was to make 6th a freeway gear and have the new 5th be about the same as the old 6th. With the lower ratio 6th is mostly useless at speeds less than 50mph. I had the same concerns about making the gearing too tall for the engines power but, pleasantly this is not the case. At freeway speeds my RPMs are about 900-1000RPM lower and there still is some giddyup left.

As for my EN500A, I will leave that exactly how it is. To me the convenience of a belt drive far exceeds the ability to change gearing as with the chain on an EN500C.
ImageImage

Turbojoe
I ride: 2004 Vulcan 500

Postby Turbojoe » Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:33 pm

I've had the 17 tooth front sprocket on mine for several months now and will never go back to stock 16tooth. It took 1st gear from being useful for nothing but stump pulling to actually a gear I can now use at lower speeds. For me the overall gearing is now "just right". I ride the freeway at 65-75mph everyday 36 miles for work. Vibration is much lower and performance is great. I seldom get to ride for pure pleasure. My bike is mainly a low cost method of transport. No canyon carving for me. I don't think I've ever opened the throttle fully. I know I've never gotten close to redline in any gear. I'm usually in 6th gear by 45 mph and only downshift when coming to a stop. I'm happy with the acceleration even in high gear. That said, not everyone would be happy with my bike. Different riding styles will require different configurations.

The 17 tooth front sprocket is dirt cheap and easy to try to see if you like it. The job is easy once you get that &@# %&$@ sprocket nut broken loose. I'm fairly certain Godzilla installed that nut!

Joe
The nonsensical ravings of a lunatic mind.....

2004 Vulcan 500

Leaf
I ride: '94 Maroon Vulcan EN500-A6, '05 Black Honda CMX250C

Postby Leaf » Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:07 pm

Turbojoe wrote:... It took 1st gear from being useful for nothing but stump pulling ...

Man.... If I ever end up with knobbies on that thing, I might just try that. XD

"Hold my beer and watch this!", right? :P

sikatrix500cc

Postby sikatrix500cc » Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:11 pm

Awesome guys! Thanks so much for your help. The guy im getting the bike from said the chain and tired are brand new and the oil was just changed. So I may just get the 17 front and 40 rear sorockets for it. Then eventually just get the self oiler thingy. As my funds are limited ill have to hold ofc on other things lol. What oil have u had tbe best luck with in tbe 500. I wad thinkin maybe amsoil or mobil one with k&n oil and air filter. Then eventually get scirpion pipes. Do these bikes use ngk iridiums? Oh amd u guys have a favebook u can join my extremely new ridin club. Www.facebook.com/chromecrusaders if u do comnent and let me know who u are from here. Thanks guys! I wonder if tbey make a high compression kit or hurricane/ram air kit for this bike?
Thanks,
Will aka "sik"

sikatrix500cc

Postby sikatrix500cc » Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:23 pm

Here are a few things im lookin, at gettin in the near future. Whats ur input in tbese

Cruise control http://www.cruisercustomizing.com/vista ... VC-07-4041

Lowering kit (2nd one down) http://www.scootworks.com/shop.cgi/page ... T_SID_HERE

Exhaust http://www.hellrisercustoms.com/bikes/97/maker/SCOO

Hid headlights http://www.hidsrus.com/kawasaki-vulcan- ... hts-bulbs/

Bluetooth kit http://cyclebots.com/bluetooth-adapters ... teway.html

And then a bunch of chrome goodies from http://www.chromeworld.com/GroupDetails ... .aspx?gid={0ebfacb0-37f9-498c-ae5d-af69716e09dc}&SearchType=_GROUP_SEARCH&GroupName=Kawasaki+Vulcan+500+Parts+and+Accessories&

Vulcan 500 engine high comression big bore kit giving you 10% more HP & 10% more TQ. AND 10% more power all together with cams intake and exhaust for$300 & $20 for 500 maual sold here. http://www.swmosportbikes.com/forum/sho ... hp?t=33705
Thanks,
Will aka "sik"

Triangles
Site Admin

Postby Triangles » Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:41 pm

never been a fan of the throttle locks (sometimes called cruise control) I may implement a real cruise control some day.

I've seen shorter shocks from another bike used instead of a lowering kit. I think they may have been from a Rebel 250?

different mufflers seem pointless to me. Probably because I'm happy with my quiet stock mufflers.

Hid looks neat.

I got something similar to these except the ones I got can connect to I think it's 5 other bikes Do some googling for "bluetooth interphone"

chrome is chrome
ImageImage

sikatrix500cc

Postby sikatrix500cc » Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:04 am

What site would u recomend to get some hi quality 17t front 40t rear sprockets . And should i get plain steel or aluminum or high quality steel or carbon or somethin.
Thanks,
Will aka "sik"

Triangles
Site Admin

Postby Triangles » Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:21 am

Aluminum is soft and will wear out quickly!!! IMO they're only good for track bikes. I know there are many good sprocket manufacturers, but I personally have a good history using JT sprockets. Our sprockets use a 520 chain. You can find many places to buy them by just googling "Vulcan 500 sprockets" Since I don't have to pay shipping and my local shop has competitive pricing I just order them from their website and pick up in store. hondaeasttoledo.com. Most if not all sprockets you'll find that fit the Vulcan 500 LTD are steel. If they don't list the material they are likely steel. If you want to search by part number you can get those here: http://www.jtsprockets.com/catalogue
ImageImage

burkbuilds

Postby burkbuilds » Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:00 pm

I'll second the recommendation for JT sprockets. I've had one on for 42,500 miles now and there's no hooking or any noticeable wear, and I took it off last weekend and laid it down on top of a brand new one for comparison. Amazing. By the way, JT heat treats their sprockets to a Rockwell Hardness of 45 on the C scale, which is pretty darn hard. My chain is likewise in great shape after all those miles because A. I keep it oiled up really well, and B. because the sprocket isn't "hooking" or anything, it's not messing up the chain either.
I've been running the 17 front and 40 rear since the first 500 miles on the bike and I get around 60 mpg on the Interstate running at 70 mph. Very pleased with that and that was a fairly large increase from the stock set up. (42/16 gears if I remember correctly). It dropped my rpms just enough to get me into a more fuel efficient range at 70 mph. If I push it on up to 75-80 my mileage really starts falling off.

Triangles
Site Admin

Postby Triangles » Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:53 am

Leaf wrote:I truly intend no disrespect, but I've been pulling 30 miles each way to work every day at 65-70 with the stock pulleys on a 500A (2.7:1, I think?), and that seems to be the speed it likes to ride at, even with that high a ratio. It'll easily hit 95-100 when passing tractor trailers without trying too awful hard. I think that lowering the ratio will do nothing but reduce the amount of giddyup you have available when you get on it hard in the higher gears, and if you get too low you won't even be able to push it past the peak of the powerband in high gear (my old Honda 250 suffered from this problem really badly). Your gearing will be taller too, and you'll have a harder time staying in the right gear to keep the power peaking.

I'm not trying to impugn upon yourall's experimentation or anything, don't get me wrong. I just think Kawi had the gearing on these things balanced out about as good as it can get stock from the factory.

Leaf,
I think i figured out why our EN500A's are happy revving higher. The EN500A has a 270° duration cam shaft and the EN500C has a 254° duration cam shaft. With the Ninja having a 290° cam this puts the EN500A about half way between the EX500 and EN500C. I know there's a lot more to it than just cam duration, but from what I've read more cam duration moves the power band up to give more high end HP at the expense of low end torque. Going with a shorter cam duration yields more low end torque and moves the power band down lowering max useful RPM and max HP. This also explains why I remember reading some where that the EN500A was about 50hp Anyway I've been digging and am going to post under the Engine section about all the differences and engine specs that I've found for the EX/EN500 engines.
ImageImage

Spockrider
I ride: 2009 Red Vulcan 500 LTD

Postby Spockrider » Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:08 pm

I've found an 18 tooth front sprocket (JTF565.18) a few years ago. It made the sprocket ratio 42/18 = 2.3333. It worked great for my 2005. I saved it and it is now on my 2009. Very easy to install. One caveat, you must shim it out with a washer so it lines up as did the original.
Spockrider

Triangles
Site Admin

Postby Triangles » Mon Jan 01, 2018 2:58 pm

Rather than go with an 42/18 setup I would go with 40/17. You probably wouldn't be able to tell the difference since the ratios are so close. I would worry about less material engaging the splines on the output shaft due to the thinner 18t sprocket being a problem. However it seems to have worked without issue for you for several years so maybe that concern is unfounded.
ImageImage

Return to “Transmission - Rear End”