18 Tooth Front Sprocket

Slipping clutch, transmission nightmares, gearing or belt conversions and modifications go here.
burkbuilds

18 Tooth Front Sprocket

Postby burkbuilds » Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:49 pm

Does anyone know where I can find an 18 tooth sprocket for a 520 chain that will fit my 500? I've been looking all over the place trying to find an 18 tooth front sprocket for

my 09 500. I've been running 17 front 40 rear, and I'd love to try an 18 tooth front sprocket out with my next chain. That would basically give me the same gear ratio as

the scootworks belt conversion kit has, about a 2.22 to 1. It's only going to drop my rpms about 5% but I'd like to give it a shot. Right now I get about 60 mpg running 70

mph on the highway. When I push it up to 75 mph, my fuel mileage drops to low to mid 50's. I'm hoping that changing my ratio to 2.22 from my current 2.35 will allow me to

run almost 75 mph without a significant drop in gas mileage, but who knows. Among other places, I've tried JT Sprockets, Sprocket Specialties and Rebel Sprockets, but no

luck. I've Googled it, looked on e-bay and checked every Motorcycle Superstore I can find on the Internet to no avail. Maybe it's just not available, but it shows up on the

charts of possibilities for the Vulcan 500.

Triangles
Site Admin
I ride: '94 Black Cherry Vulcan 500, '06 Candyfire Red Vulcan 500 LTD

Re: 18 Tooth Front Sprocket

Postby Triangles » Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:54 pm

The ninja 500 has a 38 tooth rear sprocket as an option. The early 90's rear hub/dampers look like they'd be a drop in swap for the vulcan 500. I've got one on the way I'll let you know if it works
ImageImage

burkbuilds

Postby burkbuilds » Fri Dec 03, 2010 7:27 pm

Thanks Triangles, that would accomplish the same ratio for me, I would probably have to have a link removed from my chain to do it, but that shouldn't be too much hassle.

Triangles
Site Admin

Postby Triangles » Sun Dec 05, 2010 2:45 pm

from what I understand Harbor freight makes a 10-15$ chain breaker tool if you want to DIY. I don't know what the exact years are but I think it has to be a pre '93. At some point in the mid 90's they switched to a different hub. The one I have on order is a from a '90.

edit 12/6 it has arrived! I'll try it with the stock 42T sprocket that came with it to make sure it works before I spend $$$ on a 38T sprocket. I'll take measurements tonite to see if it still looks like it will work.

ImageImage
ImageImage

Triangles
Site Admin

Postby Triangles » Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:08 am

I'm 99.5% certain the Ninja 500 hub will work. It will be a while before I have time to fit it up to the bike though :(
ImageImage

This little spacer from the Vulcan 500's rear hub fits in the ninja rear hub bearing The same.

There is one major problem I noticed. At least for me if I wanted to install it right now. The rubber dampers shown in the picture above are from the Vulcan 500. As you can see from the picture below and of the rubber damper above there is a "finger" on the damper that goes down into the recess on the Vulcan 500 hub. As this recess is not on the Ninja 500 hub I would have to either cut off the "finger" and not be able to go back or simply get the rubber dampers for a Ninja 500. So if you're going to try this get a Ninja 500 hub that has the rubber included.

Off to fleabay for me to get some ninja dampers.

All the pertinent dimensions were the same. The only difference worth noting is that the four metal tangs (what the rubber pushes on) on the ninja hub were about 1.5mm shorter. I doubt this small difference matters.

I won't say it will work 100% yet because I haven't actually tried it but, after taking a bunch of measurements I see no reason why it wouldn't work.
ImageImage

Triangles
Site Admin

Postby Triangles » Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:12 am

burkbuilds wrote:Does anyone know where I can find an 18 tooth sprocket for a 520 chain that will fit my 500? .... ....Maybe it's just not available, but it shows up on the charts of possibilities for the Vulcan 500.

Out of curiosity where did you find the reference to the 18T front sprocket? If there is indeed one it may be a Kawasaki part.
ImageImage

burkbuilds

Postby burkbuilds » Sun Dec 12, 2010 8:38 pm

I may have spoken in error. I can't seem to find any charts that show that upon my latest search. Maybe I just got confused. I did find, and buy, an 18 tooth sprocket from a guy on e-bay that he listed as fitting "several Kawasaki models", and it does fit my Vulcan 500 drive shaft, unfortunately, the geometry of the teeth shape does not fit the 520 Chain. So, I suppose I could buy the next size larger chain and see if I could find the a rear sprocket to match, but I don't actually know the model number on the 18 tooth sprocket I have. I'm also not sure how much clearance there is on the 500 for a larger size chain, plus that just really seems like overkill on the chain since the 520 is more than adequate for our bikes displacement and torque values.

For right now, I think I'm just going to stick with the set up I have because I've realized I need the rpms to get the electrical output I want to run my heated gear without draining the battery. I could actually use a few more watts output so I could run vest, gloves, and grips on high all at the same time. If I had even more output, I'd buy the heated pants too, but I'm pushing the limits now, no way I could add anything else.

Triangles
Site Admin

Postby Triangles » Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:55 pm

Did you know there is a higher output aftermarket stator available? I'm making up numbers here because I don't know the actual ones off the top of my head, but I think the stock is 17 amps and the aftermarket is 19 amps. Not much better and probably not worth the cost. if you want more nfo I can dig up the link for you.

I was going to give you static about using heated gear down in GA, but then I remembered how many miles you ride! I'm keeping the 17/38 as an option in case getting a belt drive conversion fails to become a reality for me.
ImageImage

burkbuilds

Postby burkbuilds » Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:38 pm

I purchased one of those high output stators, paid a bunch for it and made them give me a written guarantee that it would produce 20% more output than the OEM. Put it in after testing the OEM's output, which was to spec, and the new "high output" unit put out about 15% less than the OEM. Sent it back and got a refund.

As to needing heat in Georgia. When I was leaving work this evening, it was 19 degrees and the wind was blowing 20-30 mph, not sure where that puts the wind chill, but it felt pretty cold. I was glad I had a heated vest and gloves. It is supposed to be down between 10 and 13 degrees here in the morning, I know that's probably warm for Ohio, but it is pretty dang cold down here in "Hot-Lanta". :)

Triangles
Site Admin

Postby Triangles » Tue Dec 14, 2010 8:44 am

ROFL at "Hot-Lanta" The coldest it's gotten here when I've ridden was about 6F. I've got slightly less than 1/2 hr commute 3/4 of it is expressway. my non heated gear keeps me warm for that long. I would estimate after about 40-45 minutes I'd start to get uncomfortable and would be wanting your heated gear. The problem was always my hands getting cold. I went thru many pair of gloves before settling on these. They far exceeded any other glove I had tried.
ImageImage

burkbuilds

Postby burkbuilds » Tue Dec 14, 2010 8:52 pm

Those gloves look really good. If I was going to ride in cold weather without the heated gloves I think that would be my choice as well. It was 12 degrees this morning when I rolled into work and the TV said the wind chill was zero here. Of course that's the wind chill if you are standing still, not the wind chill at the speed you may be moving on a motorcycle.

Spockrider
I ride: 2009 Red Vulcan 500 LTD

Postby Spockrider » Sat May 05, 2012 7:21 pm

JTF565-18 FRONT 18 TOOTHE SPROCKET. Needs to be shimmed, but works.

Triangles
Site Admin

Postby Triangles » Sat May 05, 2012 10:34 pm

Spockrider wrote:JTF565-18 FRONT 18 TOOTHE SPROCKET. Needs to be shimmed, but works.

Good find! Indeed looking at Jt's site:
stock:
18 Tooth:
looks like the sprocket for our bike is 8.5mm thick. They don't list a thickness for the 565 sprocket, but you can see from the graphic that this sprocket is skinnier and would likely require shimming as Spockrider says.

did you get one? If so, how do you like it? BTW I've never seen an aftermarket sprocket that had the rubber damper.
ImageImage

Spockrider

Postby Spockrider » Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:10 am

Although the 18T sprocket is "thinner," it is the same thickness at the chain area and all the way thru. The 16T is thicker only near the center. The 18T can be washered out for proper alignment. My fuel mileage is now around 60+ with combined city/hiway driving and NON ethanol gas.

Spockrider

Postby Spockrider » Fri Jan 03, 2014 5:51 pm

I am selling my 18 tooth JTF565-18 sprocket and shim because I'm selling the bike with the 16 original. Great bike but won't fit in our camper trailer. So the 2005 EN500 (19660 miles) and the 18 tooth sprocket (1000 miles) are for sale. Call email me @ rockysmusic1861@yahoo.com for details. P S : it's BLUE with windshield & saddlebags.
Put "EN500" in the subject line.

Return to “Transmission - Rear End”