Carb Tuning

Everything in-between the gas cap and the carbs. Also how the engine inhales.
Triangles
Site Admin
I ride: '94 Black Cherry Vulcan 500, '06 Candyfire Red Vulcan 500 LTD

Carb Tuning

Postby Triangles » Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:55 am

Having fun trying to find the right main jet for my '94. I've got K&N pod filters, stock exhaust(for now at least). 130 obviously too lean 132 not so obvious, but excess engine heat and plugs make it clear. 135.... we'll see after some more riding.
ImageImage

kawboyCAFE

Re: Carb Tuning

Postby kawboyCAFE » Thu Jun 17, 2010 3:30 pm

if you only change to pod filters, then usaully only a 2.5 increase is whats needed. if you also put custom mufflres on, then its usually a size 5 increase. but if you put on straight drag pipes, i would go a 7.5-10 increase from stock. alot of people put jets in their carbs that are way to big. i mean, yeah, the bike would probably still run okay, but your just wasting gas at that point. this is the system i have always used, and after ALOT of miles, it has always proved correct. and with just pod filters, and maybe good mufflers, you dont have to worry about the needle. you only have to worry about the needle if you go all the way with drag pipes too, and in that case you can just shim it. and if you were to use a K&N stock replacement filter, you wouldnt really have to do anything at all. hope this helps.

Triangles
Site Admin

Postby Triangles » Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:58 am

The previous owner had the Jardine pipes on that were loud as f#%^! For the sake of my hearing and not wanting to have people give me strange looks because of the obnoxious sound emanating from my bike I put the stock pipes back on that he thankfully had not thrown out. Eventually(maybe this winter) I'm having custom stainless pipes made and using the stock Harley mufflers. Anyway the previous owner also installed a Dynojet stage 3 kit. so the hole has been drilled out in the "slide" not sure if that's the technical term for it or not. I also have adjustable needles. So I'm not exactly working with a stock setup here.
I believe stock jets are 112 and 115. Yes the first gen 500's had a real funky air intake that required different jets. It now seems that the Dynojet #140 that was in there wasn't that far off. It will take some tweaking to get the midrange worked out. It's just annoying that 60mph takes less than 5 degrees of throttle rotation. I was hoping to even that out as is it makes it difficult to maintain 45mph since the slightest tweak of the throttle makes a large difference.
ImageImage

citadel vulcan
I ride: '96 EN500A7

Postby citadel vulcan » Thu May 15, 2014 3:27 am

My '96 A model (yes, they made the A in 96 too) had 110 and 112s in it. I figured someone messed it up. Didn't realize they came with uneven jets because of the airbox. Right now, I am running a dynojet 136 which I looked up is roughly equivalent to a keihin 148. Only issue I'm have now is after half an hour of cruising at 55-75 she'll start bogging down if I try to get on it like there was too much fuel. After I rev it up a few times in neutral or keep the throttle back and let it pop like crazy, I get my normal throttle response back. I'm going to pick up another set or two of plugs today on my way home from work. I'm going to check my plugs, but hopefully, just dropping the needles one position should do the trick. I want to ride like I did over the winter. But I'm trying to fix some things. Bringing an 18 year old bike back from the dead has been very taxing on time and patience, but it's great when I ride it. Has plenty of power to pull the wheel all the way through 3rd (at least. I'm not crazy enough to try to go past 55 with the front tire off the ground.) Had to do it just to prove to my folks that this thing puts out more power than their old Kawasaki 440 LTD did.
'96 EN500A7 (Pod filters, Dynojet Stage 3 w/ 136 mains, Dyna Mufflers, Custom dented tank)
'00 Jeep XJ Cherokee 4.0L 4x4 (6" JY lift, Locked Front, 31" MTs, Cowl Snorkel, Cherry Bomb, Offroad bumpers, Superwinch 9500lb winch, LED Lights

Triangles
Site Admin

Postby Triangles » Thu May 15, 2014 12:04 pm

I am now at a "jetsrus" 145. so it sounds like you are about right on the main jet. From my experience, I'd recommend dropping the needle down until you get a flat spot (too lean) while accelerating. Approximately around mid throttle. Then back the needle out to richen it up until the flat spot goes away. To fine tune things, go to Lowes and buy a bag of #4 stainless washers. Use these to shim your needle before moving the clip to another slot (or move to the next slot and shim, depending on which way you are adjusting things). Even the thickness of one of these shims can make a big difference! I sure was surprised by this. My problem was that 145 jet was too lean, 148 seemed about right but I had a flat spot mid throttle. I shimmed the needle to richen up things mid throttle and this also made full throttle too rich and hurt fueleconomy. 145 which was too lean before was no just about right. I think I might tweak it later this summer when/if I have free time.
ImageImage

citadel vulcan

Postby citadel vulcan » Sun May 18, 2014 4:53 pm

Okay, I officially feel stupid. Just realized today looking at the carbs again, I am missing the right needle jet (jet needle seat). Just ordered on online. Hopefully it'll be here by middle of the week. That may explain the right cylinder running real rich and my really crappy gas mileage. Lol.and to think, I put 4,200 miles on this bike since mid January without realizing this.
'96 EN500A7 (Pod filters, Dynojet Stage 3 w/ 136 mains, Dyna Mufflers, Custom dented tank)
'00 Jeep XJ Cherokee 4.0L 4x4 (6" JY lift, Locked Front, 31" MTs, Cowl Snorkel, Cherry Bomb, Offroad bumpers, Superwinch 9500lb winch, LED Lights

Triangles
Site Admin

Postby Triangles » Mon May 19, 2014 6:13 am

:shock: If you're talking part 16007(plastic thingy on the bottom of the spring) from the parts diagram... I'm amazed it was even rideable!
ImageImage

citadel vulcan

Postby citadel vulcan » Mon May 19, 2014 1:29 pm

No. It is the piece at the bottom of the carb opening that the tip of the needle fits in. Its located just above the main jet and the housing or whatever its called.

Triangles
Site Admin

Postby Triangles » Tue May 20, 2014 6:30 am

OH, I see now. I didn't know there was another piece in there. How did you figure this out? I thought the main jet screwed into the "needle jet" I didn't realize there was another piece above what I thought was the needle jet that IS the needle jet. Next time I have my carbs apart I will have to see if they are in there too!
ImageImage

citadel vulcan

Postby citadel vulcan » Wed May 21, 2014 8:34 am

Picked up used needle jet from a local shop/junkyard the other day. 1st day running it, on fouled plugs that have just been wiped off (had to order new plugs), went 44.5 miles and had to put 0.852 gallons in for an estimated 52.2 mpg. The first 25 miles of my ride was riding 2 up and my bags loaded down. Much better than the 32mpg I've been averaging. Going to check/swap plugs tomorrow and may work on tuning it a little better. I'd be happy if it stays in the high 40s. 50s are just icing on the cake.

Triangles
Site Admin

Postby Triangles » Wed May 21, 2014 10:12 pm

50mpg seems to be the impossible to crack barrier for me :( The last few tanks have been pretty solid at +-48mpg If you open up to adjust the clip on the needles, take a pic for me. I'm curious as to what setting you are using.
ImageImage

citadel vulcan

Postby citadel vulcan » Wed May 21, 2014 10:58 pm

Right now I'm running 136 dynojet mains (148 keihin equivelant). And the clips are on the 3rd slot from the fat end of the needle. (The base setting on the dynojet kit instructions). I'm also currently running UNI foam stage-1 pod filters. Gonna have to fill up again tomorrow morning. I'm gonna swap in some fresh iridium plugs, read my old plugs, change my oil again, and then fill up the tank. I'll post what my numbers are in the morning.

citadel vulcan

Postby citadel vulcan » Thu May 22, 2014 9:35 am

Just swapped in my new iridium NGK plugs and changed my oil to Rotella T 15w40. Then I filled up with 93 octane 0% ethanol gas. Every tank before this has been 87 octane with 10% ethanol. Figure the carbs could use a little cleaning. 111.4 miles to this tank and still haven't had to switch to reserve. Put in 2.058 gallons. 54.1 mpg mostly cruising between 65-70 plus several stops in town. Not bad for a basket case '96 EN500A with pod filters, dyna exhaust, and a racing clutch. This is so much better than when I was getting 70-75 miles before hitting the reserve but I still wish this thing had a larger tank.

citadel vulcan

Postby citadel vulcan » Tue May 27, 2014 8:26 am

I've decided I got lucky with the carbs and i'm not going to tuch them until I absolutely have to. I just filled up today for a whopping 59.9 mpg. Granted, I was averaging 62-65 on the interstate, but half my riding is in town on stop and go highways and streets with a lot of lights. Honestly, I was originally expecting 40mpg out of this 18 year old bike, but now I want to see how much more I can squeeze out. Almost has me tempted to throw the stock airbox back in and see what I can get with that, lol.

Return to “Carbs & Fuel System and Intake”