Bike work start. Carb related I think.

Everything in-between the gas cap and the carbs. Also how the engine inhales.
White Jesse
I ride: 2005 Vulcan

Bike work start. Carb related I think.

Postby White Jesse » Tue May 11, 2021 9:43 pm

So I took off the carbs and sprayed them out. Still won't start. Putting that airbox back in is horrible, I've read the bike doesn't do as well pods.... But honestly I'd rather have velocity stacks visually. And now that I've took that box out cleaned and put back... It's honestly just horrible. Trying to get the carbs into the boots on the box side took forever. Bike still won't start either. Maybe my plugs have fouled? I'm honestly exhausted with it. Unfortunately it's my only vehicle though so I've got to fix it asap.

Triangles
Site Admin
I ride: '94 Black Cherry Vulcan 500, '06 Candyfire Red Vulcan 500 LTD

Re: Bike work start. Carb related I think.

Postby Triangles » Sat May 15, 2021 1:51 pm

I would advise against going with pod filters unless you are experienced in carb tuning. I have done this on a '94 and it took the better part of 1/2 a summer to get the carb tuned just right. requiring countless removals and installs. I still couldn't get the fuel economy as good as I thought it should be.

You need air spark and fuel. Lose one and you aren't going anywhere. If you open the throttle and can squirt some starting fluid in each carb you should at least get a pop to ensure you have spark. Also make sure your battery is good because it can be strong enough to turn the bike over but weak enough to not be able to spark.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.
ImageImage

White Jesse

Postby White Jesse » Sun Jul 25, 2021 2:36 pm

I should of replayed sooner, forgot about it. Took the carbs off and cleaned them, didn't take any pictures I lined them up very wrong. After changing the oil(gas bumped into the engine) and re lined up everything properly this time, the bike has been running perfectly. One or two photos could of saved me a day of problems. I couldn't get the boots back on, so I put them on the best I could and then wrapped them(boots) with two grocery bags. No apparent vacuum leak, bike runs way better than with the dirty carbs. Obviously not very professional, was supposed to be temporary but it's been nearly 2,000 miles.

Definitely still want really long velocity stacks, 4.5 or 5 inches. Just for the clean look. Longer stacks make more torque, little short ones are only good at high RPM. I believe that could be the issue people have with pods. I want a filter over the back of some long stacks for easy maintenance and also the cool vintage look. I've read a lot about the rejecting issues though... Haven't read one person that had any luck actually. So I'm not even going to try just yet.

Also I'm the person that was asking about the rear wheel. Definitely keeping the drum after all. (Sorter stronger spokes, and that massive drum is plenty strong, plus budget) Still planning on a 19"x3.00 hoop and 140/90 tire though. Think it'll look amazing. That mid controls, different exhaust and I think the bike will look amazing! Dirt tracker.

I'm now really confident with the forward controls but I know for a fact I'll be faster with mid controls.

Back to topic though, I wonder if anyone has replaced the boots with velocity stacks AND kept the air box, sense the boots are a nightmare for a lot people. Seems like it could be a project worth while.

Triangles
Site Admin

Postby Triangles » Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:41 am

It's been a while since I had it apart, but I think the frame would nix velocity stacks plus standard air box as it would get in the way.
ImageImage

White Jesse

Postby White Jesse » Fri Aug 06, 2021 12:10 am

I think if it was possible you'd need to measure the boots and find some stacks the same length, then slip them into the box from the filter side (they're bigger on air inlet side)... Then need something to seal the box/stacks off nice and tight. Possible cut the evil factory boots and squeeze those onto the stacks or something. Visually would look the same, probably no noticable performance gain either. Only benefit would be those boots are a nightmare to get back on.... Yeah not worth it the more I think about it. The frame looked really cool with the air box out. I enjoy riding way too much to have the bike down for a few days tinkering with it though. Will need a second bike before I try modifying it drastically.

Triangles
Site Admin

Postby Triangles » Tue Aug 10, 2021 12:00 pm

That makes sense now that you describe it that way. Yeah I doubt it would provide a noticeable difference for the effort required.

Now that you mention a second bike, I've had a Honda PC800 project bike dormant for almost a decade that my brother in law prodded me into resurrecting last march. There is so much work yet to do but I am amazed at how far I have come with the bike. I'm just afraid I might like it more than my EN500C :lol: I just have to stop wrenching long enough to document my progress. This also has me looking toward resurrecting my fuel injection project for the EN500C. Once I am done with the PC800 and have another bike to ride, I can deal with my EN500C being out of service long enough to do the work of implementing the EFI and ignition control computer.
ImageImage

Return to “Carbs & Fuel System and Intake”