My problems

Everything in-between the gas cap and the carbs. Also how the engine inhales.
mr.clean
I ride: 06 red Vulcan 500

My problems

Postby mr.clean » Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:21 am

Hi there,ive been having problems with a leaky petcock.Though the problems lie with the side barb coming out,no worries im gonna replace it.On Monday when I was parking the bike I dropped it,the stand wasn't fully engaged.So this morning I was around the corner from work and it stalled at a light,it would only stay on when I revved it higher than normal.When the light changed I felt some jerking(possibly not getting enough fuel),well when I got to work I looked on here and adjusted the idle.It stayed running but as soon as I drove it the jerking was there again.Did more reading and I think I may have a vacuum issue.
It runs better when its on prime but I havnt drivin it enough to see if the jerking stops when its in the prime position,im going to after lunch.Buddy said something may have happened when I dropped it,although that was Monday and havnt had this problemtill today.Any thoughts or insights?
VRA 1-68 President
Round Rock Vulcan Riders

Triangles
Site Admin
I ride: '94 Black Cherry Vulcan 500, '06 Candyfire Red Vulcan 500 LTD

Re: My problems

Postby Triangles » Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:56 am

the air vent in the gas cap has been known to stick shut and not let air in, but that doesn't sound like your problem. If you suspect an issue with the vacuum shutoff fuel valve, using prime is the way to test that. I cannot think of anything else that would cause your symptoms.
ImageImage

mr.clean
I ride: 06 red Vulcan 500

Postby mr.clean » Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:03 am

Well i JB welded the petcock,no more leaking fuel.changed oil and pulled air filter to discover it had gas and oil in it.Cleaned that and put seafoam in the tank and those problems are gone.
VRA 1-68 President
Round Rock Vulcan Riders

Triangles
Site Admin
I ride: '94 Black Cherry Vulcan 500, '06 Candyfire Red Vulcan 500 LTD

Postby Triangles » Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:55 am

The air filter is supposed to be oiled. That helps it keep dirt out of the engine. Glad JB worked. A lot cheaper than a new valve.
ImageImage

Return to “Carbs & Fuel System and Intake”