Fuel supply issues?

Everything in-between the gas cap and the carbs. Also how the engine inhales.
checkmate
I ride: Vulcan EN-500

Fuel supply issues?

Postby checkmate » Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:18 pm

Hello everybody! My 01 Vulcan runs OK most of the time, but has a few issues that all seem to revolve around the fuel system. I was hoping for some advice before I start tearing things apart ;)

Here is what it is doing:

1. Most of the time, it will not start without a small squirt of starting fluid in the carb intake. I know this isn't recommended.
2. If I ride it at 60-70 MPH for just a couple miles, it starts losing power and bogging down on me. If I pull over, put the valve on prime for a minute, it runs fine again. If I keep the speed under 55, it doesn't seem to have this issue.
3. It acts like it is out of gas after 1 - 1 1/2 gallons of gas is gone. I have to fill it every 50-80 miles, but there is only a gallon or so gone. Gas mileage seems to be OK (around 50mpg); but the bike acts like it is out of gas much too soon.

The vacuum tubes seem have no kinks in them & are snug on the carb.

All this is manageable and I'm able to ride, but it is quite annoying!

If anybody has areas to look into, I would appreciate it.

Thank you!

Triangles
Site Admin
I ride: '94 Black Cherry Vulcan 500, '06 Candyfire Red Vulcan 500 LTD

Re: Fuel supply issues?

Postby Triangles » Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:01 pm

1. The vulcan 500 engine can be quite difficult to start if you don't use the choke. It's a slide lever on the carb. It has 2 settings, 1/2 and full choke. You usually need full choke to get it to start and stay started. I usually use full choke for about 20-30 seconds (putting on my riding gear) and then leave it on 1/2 choke until I have pulled out in traffic (about 1/4-1/2 mile).

2. Tell tale sign of the gas tank vent (located in gas cap) not letting air in as quickly as the gasoline is consumed. This happened to me once, I pulled over and opened the gas cap and fliped it back and forth several times and that seems to fix it. Others have had to disassemble the cap. If it happens again immediately pop the gas cap. If you hear air rush in, that is your problem.

3. Sounds like a problem with the vacuum operation of your fuel valve. You may need to rebuild it assuming your vacuum lines are indeed functional. Try riding with the fuel valve on "PRI". This bypasses the vacuum shut off and is normally only used to "prime" the carb bowls with fuel. FYI do some searching and you should be able to find some fuel valve rebuild kits usually about 20-25 bucks.
ImageImage

Turbojoe
I ride: 2004 Vulcan 500

Postby Turbojoe » Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:17 pm

Agreed with Triangles on all three points. Just after I got my 2004 about 2 years ago I was having starvation problems near the 100 mile mark when it was "cool" outside. After seeing a few posts on various Vulcan sites about cap venting issues I pulled my gas cap and took it apart. I found a BUNCH of white corrosion in all of the aluminum cap parts blocking the vent passages. I soaked everything in CLR and it all came out looking new again. Luckily the gaskets were still like new so I didn't need to replace. Problem solved and now when I get home on a hot Phoenix day I can hear the cap vent whistling away just like it should. Worth taking a look at or you can just open the cap once in a while to release the vacuum. ;) If you take either the cap or the petcock apart I'd be sure to have a rebuild kit on hand just in case...... Check RonAyers.com. Search Vulcan 500 Then choose fiche from the list on the left to find the parts. They have the best prices I've found online.

Joe
The nonsensical ravings of a lunatic mind.....

2004 Vulcan 500

Triangles
Site Admin

Postby Triangles » Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:00 pm

FYI the rebuild kits for the fuel valve are not OEM from Kawasaki, I forget who makes them but a little googling should turn up who makes em.
ImageImage

Turbojoe

Postby Turbojoe » Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:56 pm

Not OEM parts from Ron Ayers or in general? This could be good info. I hate spending good money on junk.

Joe

2004 Vulcan 500

Triangles
Site Admin

Postby Triangles » Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:12 am

Joe,
I was talking about rebuild kits vs buying a new oem fuel valve. a company called K&L makes valve rebuild kits. see this thread for a link to one such kit on bike bandit
ImageImage

checkmate
I ride: Vulcan EN-500

Postby checkmate » Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:00 pm

Putting the valve on PRI for a minute or 2 helps get the bike started ... along with the choke open fully. Still will not start on first try, but generally starts without the spray.

Last time it bogged down on me when riding, I pulled over and opened the fuel cap. Didn't really make a noise nor did it behave differently after starting back up. What I found is that when it starts doing this, if I lean down and put the valve on PRI, the bike immediately kicks the power back on.

As far as the acting like it is out of gas...if I put the valve on RES or PRI, it continues to run fine.

So, basically. Running the bike on PRI addresses all 3 of these issues. Do you think this could be just the vacuum hose or the entire valve rebuild?

Triangles
Site Admin

Postby Triangles » Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:22 pm

I would think it would be a leaky vacuum hose. I can only remember reading about the valve needing to be rebuilt when it leaks gas. I'm no expert on the fuel valve so who knows. If I remember correctly when I replaced my vacuum lines on my '94 a few years ago, I think it was 3/32" hose that I got from Napa that worked great for replacing the vacuum lines.
ImageImage

mr.clean
I ride: 06 red Vulcan 500

Postby mr.clean » Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:12 am

Do you happen to know any links of vacuum hose diagrams?
VRA 1-68 President
Round Rock Vulcan Riders

Triangles
Site Admin

Postby Triangles » Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:51 am

no but i can tell you the vacuum port on the left carb goes to fuel valve and the port on the right carb goes to the emissions valve (aka Kawasaki clean air system).
ImageImage

Turbojoe

Postby Turbojoe » Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:09 pm

It took a little work but I was able to lift this from my digital manual. I hope it helps.

Joe

2004 Vulcan 500

Triangles
Site Admin

Postby Triangles » Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:41 pm

that's the Kalifornia evap. emissions system. Mr. Clean, do you have a Kalifonia bike?
ImageImage

mr.clean
I ride: 06 red Vulcan 500

Postby mr.clean » Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:07 am

No
VRA 1-68 President
Round Rock Vulcan Riders

Return to “Carbs & Fuel System and Intake”