CLEAN running bike!

Everything in-between the gas cap and the carbs. Also how the engine inhales.
Turbojoe
I ride: 2004 Vulcan 500

CLEAN running bike!

Postby Turbojoe » Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:39 pm

Just got back from my emissions test. Arizona is the only state that tests motorcycles! :evil: :evil: :evil: I was happy to see just how clean it was running though. It was an idle only test. Standard HC (Hydrocarbons) is 1800. Mine tested at 68. Standard CO (Carbon Monoxide) is 5.50. Mine tested at 0.42! She must be in pretty good shape and my carb synch and pilot screw adjust a few months ago were right on the money. Any leaner and I'd probably be getting into a lean idle misfire and HC would jump out of sight. She runs fine with no hesitation or lag so I have no plans to fatten up the idle at all. Doing my part for cleaner air to breathe. ;)

Joe
The nonsensical ravings of a lunatic mind.....

2004 Vulcan 500

Triangles
Site Admin
I ride: '94 Black Cherry Vulcan 500, '06 Candyfire Red Vulcan 500 LTD

Re: CLEAN running bike!

Postby Triangles » Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:06 am

that's odd that they test motorcycles. The Peoples Republic of Kalifornia must be spilling over into Arizona.

I wish I could get my idle that lean. My idle exhaust smells very rich, but if I try to lean it out, it won't run.
ImageImage

Turbojoe

Postby Turbojoe » Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:55 pm

Hard to believe but the state is actually on our side and has been trying to eliminate the motorcycle test since 2008. It's the EPA that is dragging their feet. Here's a cut and paste from the ADEQ site:

Phoenix Motorcycles

In 2008, the Arizona Legislature passed House Bill 2280 authorizing the exemption of motorcycles from emissions testing requirements in the Phoenix area. The exemption requires the approval of the U.S. EPA by July 2012 (as authorized by House Bill 2033 Leaving ADEQ Web site in April 2010). Subsequent analysis showed that the testing and repair of Phoenix area motorcycles does not provide a significant air quality benefit and a request for approval of the exemption was submitted to the U.S. EPA on November 10, 2009. ADEQ developed an Addendum to provide additional information and analysis to support the U.S. EPA's review of the exemption request. A public hearing on the Addendum was held on December 15, 2010. The Final Addendum was submitted to EPA on January 12, 2011. U.S. EPA action on the request is pending however, at this time motorcycles must still be tested in the Phoenix area.

Having left California in 2002 I was shocked to learn that they now have more lax emission laws than we have in AZ. I got my California "smog license" in 2000 but never used it because of all the crazy laws they had at the time. I was too paranoid that I'd make an honest mistake and end up with huge fines or even jail time. After 25 years I was just tired of the whole auto industry and walked away later that year. I gave all my tools to my nephew.

Until I spent the time with the manometer to really get the most even reading possible at idle I also had a heavy rich idle smell. Many people online will say to synch at 3,000 rpm or higher. Apparently I'm lucky and my linkage is still in good shape and synch was still very good with the throttle open. On an older or poorly maintained bike open throttle adjustment would probably work best. Spending all the time I did to get the synch and pilot screw adjust right on the money made a noticeable difference in the way my bike runs. Now if I could only find a REASONABLY priced tach for a 2 cylinder engine..........

Joe

2004 Vulcan 500

Triangles
Site Admin

Postby Triangles » Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:56 pm

some day I will try to tweak mine with a manometer, but that will probably be when it's warm and sunny again here. Odd I would think the state would have the say. I wouldn't think the EPA would have the authority to dictate something like this. Must be how the emissions laws are written there. In Ohio I think there's only Cleveland and Cincinnati that does emission testing and I don't know if that includes motorcycles. At one time I had access to a very expensive combustion gas analyzer, but never got around to seeing if I could use it to help tweak my carbs.

As for your tachometer, how's this for affordable? I've been meaning to do a how-to on a tach install. It's real simple. Green wire to the negative terminal on one of the ignition coils, black to a ground, tie red and blue together and wire in with something that switches on with the ignition (If I remember correctly I used the +12v that feeds the speedo light.) Let me know if you have any questions or need any help.
ImageImage

Triangles
Site Admin

Postby Triangles » Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:23 pm

ImageImage

Turbojoe

Postby Turbojoe » Thu Jan 12, 2012 3:33 am

That link you posted is by far the lowest priced tach I've seen so far. I'm not looking to mount it on the bike though. I just want one for tuning purposes. Remember back when you could pick up a cheapo RAC dwell tach at Kmart for less than $15.00? That's what I want. Sadly it doesn't seem to exist anymore. Especially for anything smaller than a 4 cylinder. After I get my taxes back I'll probably look into getting the one you linked to.

Joe

2004 Vulcan 500

Triangles
Site Admin

Postby Triangles » Thu Jan 12, 2012 7:17 am

if you wanted one just for testing purpose, ie not mounted on the bike. http://www.harborfreight.com/2-inch-led-lit-tachometer-98480.html this is cheap but I'm fairly sure it will only show 1/2 RPM unless you rigged up an adapter to read both ignition coils. It only has a setting for 4,6,or 8cyl The manual doesn't say but I believe 4 is 2 pulses per rev, 6 is 3 pulses, and 8 is 4 pulses. I am not 100% sure on this I may be wrong so don't take my word as absolute truth. If you didn't know one ignition coil on the Vulcan 500 pulses once per rev.
ImageImage

Return to “Carbs & Fuel System and Intake”