2000 vulcan EN500 carb or fuel injected?

Everything in-between the gas cap and the carbs. Also how the engine inhales.
sikatrix500cc
I ride: 2000 Kawasaki Vulcan 500

2000 vulcan EN500 carb or fuel injected?

Postby sikatrix500cc » Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:00 pm

I lookin at a 2000 kawasaki vulcan EN500 thats for sale for $1600 withWindshield, sissy bar, new seat cover, Saddle bags, NEW O-ring chain, new rear tire, highway bars/pegs, outlet for GPS, Battery Monitor, New Forks 36,245 miles thats about 45min from my house. it doesnt say if the bike is FI or carbed so i just wanted too see which it was because before i go get the bike that far away i wanted to order either a stage 3 carb kit if carbed or a power commander if its FI. Also i know i need to get better air filters and pipes. Im probaly going to buy k&n air filters and im not even sure what pipes to get to even out the air/fuel ratio.... Any suggestions on what pipe too get and if there is a better air filter than K&N? not sure if there is anything left to upgrade is there? cuz im only using this to ride 5 miles to medical school and back everyday and also my friend is bringing his honda shadow 600 with stage 3 kit and pipes and i need to be able to keep up with his speed at as low of rpm's as i can get, so i think i may replace the stock sprockets with either one tooth bigger on front or 2 teeth smaller on the back. any isuggestions on this? we're going to be taking long camping trips like 500-600 mile trips at 70mph the whole time.. thanks for your future help....... WILL
Attachments
2.jpg
this is the bike im looking at
2.jpg (14.37 KiB) Viewed 6391 times
Thanks,
Will aka "sik"

Triangles
Site Admin
I ride: '94 Black Cherry Vulcan 500, '06 Candyfire Red Vulcan 500 LTD

Re: 2000 vulcan EN500 carb or fuel injected?

Postby Triangles » Tue Jan 03, 2012 1:12 am

no Vulcan 500 is fuel injected. The vulcan 500 stock will easily keep up with a Shadow 600. They have about the same horsepower. The Vulcan's engine is designed for higher revving and you need to wind it up higher than the shadow to get the horse power going. The Shadow's engine is designed for low end grunt and will have more lower end torque but doesn't rev as high. The Vulcan also has the advantage of 6 gears vs the Shadow's 4 so you can keep your engine in the sweet spot more of the time. Not that I recommend trying but, it is possible to pop a wheelie on a stock Vulcan 500 LTD. Don't ask me how I know :)
ImageImage

Leaf
I ride: '94 Maroon Vulcan EN500-A6, '05 Black Honda CMX250C

Re: 2000 vulcan EN500 carb or fuel injected?

Postby Leaf » Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:21 am

I'd leave the intake and exhaust alone. Since it is carbed, there's no ECU to automatically adjust your fuel mix for the higher air volume. You'll end up running lean, unless you rejet the carb (which is a complete PITA), which will damage the engine. You'll also lose some low-end torque, which would be unfortunate, as these engines are already very peaky to begin with. Most of these older-style UJM-type bikes are very well dialed in from the factory and don't really need any tuning.

Return to “Carbs & Fuel System and Intake”