tank venting sound

Everything in-between the gas cap and the carbs. Also how the engine inhales.
Woolsey Dip
I ride: '08 Vulcan 500

tank venting sound

Postby Woolsey Dip » Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:41 pm

It sounds like my gas tank vents through the gas cap keyhole. It took me a while to figure out what the sound was. Somewhere I think I heard some Vulcan 500's do have an issue with the vent pipe going under the seat getting pinched or something. Anybody know anything about this? It doesn't really bother me, but when I hear it, just after shutting off the engine, I always wonder if it indicates any kind of problem I should be addressing.

Triangles
Site Admin
I ride: '94 Black Cherry Vulcan 500, '06 Candyfire Red Vulcan 500 LTD

Re: tank venting sound

Postby Triangles » Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:11 pm

the whistle or wine coming from the gas tank is normal. A common problem is when this vent system doesn't vent and you stall out. It's only happened to me once and I just flipped the gas cap around a little, closed it and haven't had an issue since.
ImageImage

burkbuilds

Postby burkbuilds » Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:19 pm

I've had the same thing happen twice. Just running down the road and she quits. Can't get it to crank again until I open the gas tank and then she runs just fine. I usually hear the tank "sigh" or whistle after I've been riding for a while, especially in warm weather and then shut her down for the night. As the gas in the tank cools, you can hear the air moving through the vent around the gas cap, that is normal. If you don't ever hear that , then either you are inside having something cold to drink, or something isn't working like it is designed to. As the gasoline cools down, it "shrinks" and occupies less volume, air needs to come into the tank, and that's what you are hearing. You probably have the same thing happening when you are driving as the fuel level drops but you might never hear it because the noise from the engine drowns out the vent noise.

Pocatello Vulcan
I ride: Vulcan 500 2009

Postby Pocatello Vulcan » Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:12 am

Woolsey Dip wrote:It sounds like my gas tank vents through the gas cap keyhole. It took me a while to figure out what the sound was. Somewhere I think I heard some Vulcan 500's do have an issue with the vent pipe going under the seat getting pinched or something. Anybody know anything about this? It doesn't really bother me, but when I hear it, just after shutting off the engine, I always wonder if it indicates any kind of problem I should be addressing.

My new 2009 Vulcan kept stalling out on me until I removed the seat and rerouted the gas vent hoses from under the seat. As I sat on the seat it squashed the vent hose and then it would stall out. It hasn't happened since I did that.

Return to “Carbs & Fuel System and Intake”