Float height

Everything in-between the gas cap and the carbs. Also how the engine inhales.
Barg
I ride: Kawasaki, Yamaha, Harley

Float height

Postby Barg » Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:15 pm

Can anyone tell me the float height for a 1996 en500. I have ordered a manual but is on back order so I don't have it yet and that's all I need to finish these carbs up and get back on the road. Thank You in advance

Triangles
Site Admin
I ride: '94 Black Cherry Vulcan 500, '06 Candyfire Red Vulcan 500 LTD

Re: Float height

Postby Triangles » Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:39 pm

I would ask if you have the EN500A or EN500C but it doesn't matter since I'm pretty sure the specs are the same for both. When you put the carb back together set the float height (4 in the figure below) at 17mm or very close to that as a starting point.
float_height.PNG
float_height.PNG (110.27 KiB) Viewed 5509 times

As for checking the fuel level, I'm going to assume you know the carbs have to be level and how to measure this. The specification for the fuel level is 1.5mm above the bottom edge of the carb body (D in figure below) to 0.5mm below the bottom edge of the carburetor body.
Fuel_level.PNG
Fuel_level.PNG (34.85 KiB) Viewed 5509 times

TBH I've never checked this on my EN500C and amazingly in it's 12 years of existence, the carbs have always worked pretty flawlessly. I did have to check it on my EN500A because a PO had jacked up the carbs pretty bad. It's been years ago but I don't remember having to do much if any adjustment. IIRC I set it to the bottom edge of the carb or a fuzz above.
ImageImage

Return to “Carbs & Fuel System and Intake”