Bog down / Vacuum leak

Everything in-between the gas cap and the carbs. Also how the engine inhales.
Bob9777
I ride: 500 Vulcan

Bog down / Vacuum leak

Postby Bob9777 » Sun Sep 14, 2014 10:07 am

I have 1990 Valcun 500 30,000 miles I have a vacuum leak some where...my vacuum gage is bouncing
Some times she will bog down as I am riding and take a few seconds on working the throttle
Until the RPM will come up again.
Any suggestions on where to start ?
Thanks

Triangles
Site Admin
I ride: '94 Black Cherry Vulcan 500, '06 Candyfire Red Vulcan 500 LTD

Re: Bog down / Vacuum leak

Postby Triangles » Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:47 pm

I'm not sure where or why you are hooking up a vacuum gauge but it will always be bouncy. The vacuum is not constant nor is it remotely consistent. It might smooth out a little at very high rpm. Sounds more like you are describing a gummed up dirty carb. Has the bike recently been sitting unused for a long period of time?

I find vacuum leaks by spraying a flammable fluid near where the leak is. When the RPM's jump up I've found my leak. Just don't be stupid about it and burn your bike to the ground.
ImageImage

charnotx
I ride: 1999 Blue/Black Vulcan 500 LTD

Re: Bog down / Vacuum leak

Postby charnotx » Tue Sep 16, 2014 1:38 pm

I'd definitely agree with Triangles on this one. Sounds like your carbs are dirty and could use some B-12 to clean them up. Is it happen when you are shifting up? or while you are holding the throttle steady (say 40% open), is just drops?

Just had to do that same thing about week ago. After taking it apart, and getting the jets cleaned, I have no throttle response issues.

Return to “Carbs & Fuel System and Intake”