Drilled Muffless

Engine, exhaust & cooling mods or problems. If it has to do with cooling, anything within the crank case, or exhaust, it goes here.
BillInGA

Drilled Muffless

Postby BillInGA » Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:59 pm

The mufflers on my new '02 have been drilled and somewhat mangled. It's too dark now, but I'll post some photos tomorrow. The end result is unpleasantly loud exhaust noise and lots of popping on deceleration.

I know it's hard to say without seeing them, but is it feasible to repair these or should I start looking for replacements?

Bill
ATGATT - All The Gear, All The Time

2000 Vulcan 500 LTD
2004 Suzuki GZ250
1998 Toyota Camry

Triangles
Site Admin
I ride: '94 Black Cherry Vulcan 500, '06 Candyfire Red Vulcan 500 LTD

Re: Drilled Muffless

Postby Triangles » Thu Jul 08, 2010 6:31 am

Unfortunately used mufflers are rather hard to come by and OEM's are very expensive. You might be able to tap the holes and plug them with bolts. You'll probably have to use JB weld or Loctite to keep them from vibrating loose. Some people have used Harley Dyna mufflers. They are louder than stock. Daisey has them on her vulcan 500. Also see http://en500.us/exhaust.html

Kawasaki added the "clean air system" which basically puts air in the exhaust pipes thru the top of the engine to burn any unburned gas before it leaves the exhaust. This is most likely the popping you hear. You can reduce this significantly by blocking off the tubes on top of the engine.
ImageImage

kawboyCAFE

Postby kawboyCAFE » Thu Jul 08, 2010 4:02 pm

hey BILL, do it the easy way man. go to a farm supply store, buy 2 x-large washers (one for each muffler) and have them welded on the back of the muffler over the holes. seen a guy do this once and it worked great. after you get them welded on just paint them black with some heat paint and you'll be good to go. hope this helps.

BillInGA

Postby BillInGA » Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:27 pm

Here are a couple of photos of the tail pipe:

with the cover plate on

and then with the cover plate removed

A picture is worth a thousand words. I just hope those words aren't "you're screwed!"

Bill
ATGATT - All The Gear, All The Time

2000 Vulcan 500 LTD
2004 Suzuki GZ250
1998 Toyota Camry

Jablonsky

Postby Jablonsky » Fri Jul 09, 2010 12:58 am

If it's only the 3 holes, some high temp resistant epoxy putty could fix the problem.
(I'm not so sure what the 2nd picture shows)
No hay banda. No hay Jablonsky. Todo está grabado. Nada es lo que parece, todo es una ilusión.

Triangles
Site Admin
I ride: '94 Black Cherry Vulcan 500, '06 Candyfire Red Vulcan 500 LTD

Postby Triangles » Fri Jul 09, 2010 6:15 am

I believe that tube in the middle of the second pic should extend all the way out thru the coverplate. If you can figure out how to do that and seal up all holes around the tube you might be in business. If you don't already know the mufflers slip on. Unscrew the muffler from the hanging bracket and then loosen the clamp at the front. If you need to remove them.
ImageImage

Return to “Engine - Exhaust - Cooling”