Coolant leak/water pump ?

Engine, exhaust & cooling mods or problems. If it has to do with cooling, anything within the crank case, or exhaust, it goes here.
mr.clean
I ride: 06 red Vulcan 500

Coolant leak/water pump ?

Postby mr.clean » Fri Oct 14, 2016 6:30 pm

So I'm leaking coolant through a bolt under the right pipe. Looks like its a part of the water pump, has anyone changed the pump on your own? I read a link where a guy replaced the 2 gaskets under the cover a few years back and it was doing fine as long as there isn't any damage to the Impeller . Anybody have thoughts on this, because a complete kit appears to be $300+ .
VRA 1-68 President
Round Rock Vulcan Riders

Triangles
Site Admin
I ride: '94 Black Cherry Vulcan 500, '06 Candyfire Red Vulcan 500 LTD

Re: Coolant leak/water pump ?

Postby Triangles » Tue Oct 18, 2016 8:22 am

That bolt is the coolant drain bolt. snug it back up. If necessary use a copper crush washer. Remember you are screwing a steel bolt into a soft cast aluminum part. Don't go crazy or you will strip the threads out of the hole. There is likely NEVER a reason to replace the water pump. IIRC the pump (impeller) shaft is literally the end of the counter balance shaft. There's an oil/coolant seal around the shaft and a gasket between the crank case and outer cover. That's all there is to it. I replaced the outer cover on my EN500A with one from a ninja 500. Some idiot (me) broke off the coolant inlet nipple when replacing a coolant hose. Cheap part, I didn't care that it doesn't cosmetically match. I also had to buy a gasket and since I had it apart I replaced the impeller shaft seal too. I think all said and done it was about $50 in parts.
ImageImage

mr.clean
I ride: 06 red Vulcan 500

Re: Coolant leak/water pump ?

Postby mr.clean » Mon Nov 14, 2016 7:47 pm

Me and a buddy took it apart and replaced the gaskets and put it back together and no more leaking. I tried to tighten that bolt but it wouldn't move.
VRA 1-68 President
Round Rock Vulcan Riders

Return to “Engine - Exhaust - Cooling”