new bike...to me.

Engine, exhaust & cooling mods or problems. If it has to do with cooling, anything within the crank case, or exhaust, it goes here.
daddyofcody
I ride: en 500

new bike...to me.

Postby daddyofcody » Thu May 07, 2015 10:56 am

Ok turns out bike had been stored in pieces and quickly put back togeather to sell/offload it so lets work on getting it running first then lights and all later. I can get the starter to turn over but about every 4th attempt it actually turns over the motor the rest of the time it sounds like the starter is just spinning. Any thoughts?

Triangles
Site Admin
I ride: '94 Black Cherry Vulcan 500, '06 Candyfire Red Vulcan 500 LTD

Re: new bike...to me.

Postby Triangles » Wed May 13, 2015 3:05 pm

The starter motor turns a chain that goes on a sprocket right behind the flywheel. There is a clutch that operates on friction to engage the sprocket with the flywheel. I've never heard of these wearing out but I have had mine slip before when I tried starting it at -13F. There are springs that press on "rollers" for lack of a better term that grip to engage the sprocket to the flywheel. If it was taken apart and hastily put back together it's possible they left the springs out? I've never pulled a flywheel but I know you need a special tool to take it off. I would put fresh oil in it to rule out the PO putting the wrong oil in it. I have a spare flywheel somewhere. If I can find it I can take pictures for you.
ImageImage

Return to “Engine - Exhaust - Cooling”