vulcan 500 exhaust

Engine, exhaust & cooling mods or problems. If it has to do with cooling, anything within the crank case, or exhaust, it goes here.
kawboyCAFE

vulcan 500 exhaust

Postby kawboyCAFE » Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:45 am

i have listened to alot of vids on youtube, but i have only found a couple of slip-ons that i like the sound of. but i didn't like the look of them. me and my wife want a little more sound, but i want them to sound good and look good too. also, do you have to re-jet if you just change to different slip-on mufflers. i have changed exhaust on my bikes before, but i usually change the whole system and definately had to re-jet those. but i dont know about only changing the mufflers. the stock sound isn't too bad, but, i want a little bit more. i dont want to drill or cut on my stocks, so i guess thats out. i know it will never sound like a vtwin, but i dont care about that anyway. i would just like a little more deep rumble to it. anyways, any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated.

Triangles
Site Admin
I ride: '94 Black Cherry Vulcan 500, '06 Candyfire Red Vulcan 500 LTD

Re: vulcan 500 exhaust

Postby Triangles » Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:04 pm

the Jardine's are F#@*ING LOUD! My '94 came with them and after a 2 hour 75+mph ride home, I wasn't sure I if I had suffered permanent hearing damage or not. I even wore a full face helmet. Getting off the expressway I rolled up next to a Harley guy who gave me a wtf look. I was 2 or 3 times louder than his bike. It's tolerable in town but painful on the expressway. I'm having some custom pipes made that fit the stock harley slipons inspired by Romad over at http://en500.us/exhaust.html The Dunstall replicas seem to be popular. Also you could probably drill holes and/or partially debaffle your stock mufflers.

Almost any exhaust other than stock will be more free flowing. This will most likely lean your mixture slightly. Aside from reading your plugs, if you notice a slight power decrease with the new mufflers, you might need to bump the main jet up a notch or two. It's intake mods that most require re-jetting, so you may be able to get away with leaving the carb alone.
ImageImage

kawboyCAFE

Postby kawboyCAFE » Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:07 pm

i have thought about the dunsatll slip-ons. they do look cool, but i wonder what they sound like. guess i could just buy some and find out. but i hate buying them, and then hating how they sound. know what i mean?

Triangles
Site Admin

Postby Triangles » Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:42 pm

man I wish I could remember where. Somebody on another website had posted a before/after the dunstall on youtube.
ImageImage

kawboyCAFE

Postby kawboyCAFE » Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:52 pm

i bought a pair of old replica FLH harley mufflers and installed them. i took them off about 2 hours later. i dont think you could have gotten it any louder with drag pipes! not to mention they had that tin can sound to them, and they whistled. anyways, they sounded like crap. luckily i only paid $50 bucks for them, so i should be able to sell them for what i got in them. oh well, guess i will try some different ones later some time. any suggestions besides the expensive scorpians from scootworks?

DaisyField
I ride: '09 with highway bars, saddleman bags, Kuryakyn Grips and Iso wings, OEM luggage rack and windshield

Postby DaisyField » Sat Apr 10, 2010 8:06 am

I just got a set of the Harley Dyna Glide mufflers off ebay for $29.00 plus $12.00 for shipping. I hope to get them installed this weekend. I told my husband that we really need to take some before and after recordings of the sound. I'll let you know the outcome as soon as I do. If I don't like 'em they'll go right back on Ebay. Like KawboyCafe, I dont mind the stock sound either, I just want it more throaty.
I swear... I only ride to save gas. (If you believe that I have a deal on a bridge for you.)

kawboyCAFE

Postby kawboyCAFE » Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:06 am

you may like them, but i didnt. my dad gave me the stock mufflers off of his dyna wide glide to try before i tried the others. they sounded weird. really poppy. but you may like them. i wish i had known you wanted some, i would have sold you mine for real cheap.

DaisyField
I ride: '09 with highway bars, saddleman bags, Kuryakyn Grips and Iso wings, OEM luggage rack and windshield

Postby DaisyField » Sat Apr 17, 2010 7:45 am

We did get the HD dyna mufflers on, and they are definitely more poppy. Louder too. I think I like 'em though. They are deeper and rumblier (ok, not really a word, but you know what I mean). I'm going to have to ride with them on for a few days to know for sure. I'm not getting rid of the stock mufflers yet, and we didn't screw lock everything in case I want to go back. It's always hard to tell in the garage, so open road, here I come. I did take lots of pictures, and when we stopped over-thinking the installation, they went on easy.
I swear... I only ride to save gas. (If you believe that I have a deal on a bridge for you.)

Triangles
Site Admin

Postby Triangles » Thu May 20, 2010 3:10 pm

DaisyField,
got any pictures yet?
ImageImage

DaisyField

Postby DaisyField » Sat May 22, 2010 9:58 am

Here you go

First we removed the stock muffler

Here is a close up of the bracket from the original that we used on the HD.

We purchased the reducer kit from JC Whitney for about 6 bucks. The part number is: (I think) cbm063889 I'm pretty sure that it was the only reducer kit they sold.

The kit fit the header pipe with all three pieces exactly. It couldn't have been better if they had been made to fit.
We also bought a couple of exhaust tips at auto zone.

We cut down the exhaust tips so that they would slip over the reducers and the header pipe, and go up to the HD pipes to make it all chrome. (Gotta have chrome.)

You can see that we left on the set screw so that we could attach the tips to the header. This was probably overkill because once it was all together the tips were wedged in pretty well.

We then attached a plain piece of steel strap to the bracket on the HD mufflers to attach to the back end bracket.

Finally we slipped everything together, first the bracket onto the muffler, the JC Whitney adapters, (don't put the adapters tightly together, leave them slightly seperated as tapping them on to the header will tighten it all down) and the tips. Using a rubber mallet, we tapped it all on the header, and then screwed it all together.

Here's the finished look

I have to give credit to Romad from his en500.us website. We went off his write up and adapted to fit our needs.

burkbuilds

Postby burkbuilds » Sun May 23, 2010 8:10 pm

That looks great, nice job.

kawboyCAFE

Postby kawboyCAFE » Sat May 29, 2010 4:12 am

looks good. i hope you enjoy them.

fsors

Postby fsors » Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:17 pm

I like quiet n stock sounds like a sleeper till I wind er up

surfbum
I ride: '03 vulcan 500

Postby surfbum » Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:57 pm

the first thing i looked into was an exhaust but there are few options. I had considered triumph mufflers because they are inline twins aas well, but they are kinda ugly. I did score some dyna mufflers for cheap on e-bay. the vulcan is just to quiet for my tastes stock

surfbum
I ride: '03 vulcan 500

Postby surfbum » Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:37 pm

got them on no problem, but now the right cylinder is dead. figures

Return to “Engine - Exhaust - Cooling”