I just installed JC Whitney EMGO Mufflers.

Engine, exhaust & cooling mods or problems. If it has to do with cooling, anything within the crank case, or exhaust, it goes here.
doug
I ride: 2009 vulcan 500

I just installed JC Whitney EMGO Mufflers.

Postby doug » Sun May 06, 2012 9:04 pm

The mufflers installed easily and look good but they are very loud, the original fiberglass packing is inadequate. When I first started the bike it was blowing bits of fiberglass out the mufflers. I plan to get some more fiberglass and try to quieten it down some.

GeorgiaRider

Re: I just installed JC Whitney EMGO Mufflers.

Postby GeorgiaRider » Thu May 17, 2012 4:04 am

Thanks for the info.
GeorgiaRider
2006 Vulcan 500

Kuryakyan Foot Peg Extenders and Pegs
Memphis Shades Alley Cat Windshield
Saddlemen Large Slant Saddlebags
Powersports Mini-Tachometer
Kawasaki Luggage Rack
Kuryakyan Iso-Grips
Airhawk cushion
Marlin's Clock

encore
I ride: 2002 vulcan 500

Postby encore » Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:04 pm

I have come up with what i think is a good all around sounding exhaust for a 500 vulcan . I bought some emgo dunstall wide mouth pipes with the removal baffle.Then take a lawn mower muffler made by arnold its a small round lawn mower muffler about 2 or bucks a piece.Then u put the muffler in the end of the baffle towards the engine you have to pound it in about half inch.Then go on e-bay and search for techmat muffler packing.Wrap as much of this as you can get on the baffles the more the better really.One piece will do both mufflers its like 14.99 i think.Leave the first 5 or 6 inches on the baffle just bare towards the engine.Start up and enjoy

rebeltitanfan63
I ride: 2007 en500 ltd vulcan

Postby rebeltitanfan63 » Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:28 pm

hey guys i bought some slipons from j and p and they are 10 times better than them emgo slipons!!!!!! it has a non replaceble baffle but has some packing and i bet as i ride more it will only get better sounding! wish i had bought these 1st than the emgo!

nlap07
I ride: 04 vulcan 500 LTD

Postby nlap07 » Thu May 09, 2013 9:36 am

Hey i was lookin to put those emgo turnout pipes on my vulcan 500..when you put them on did you have to change the jets on the carbs and do you have any suggestions?

apehangers
I ride: vulcan EN500

Postby apehangers » Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:14 pm

nlap07 wrote:Hey i was lookin to put those emgo turnout pipes on my vulcan 500..when you put them on did you have to change the jets on the carbs and do you have any suggestions?

Hey Hows the emgo turn outs? I'm new... did anyone help you out with jetting? I think those sound the best..........
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nTPVrHHtr8

Triangles
Site Admin
I ride: '94 Black Cherry Vulcan 500, '06 Candyfire Red Vulcan 500 LTD

Postby Triangles » Thu Aug 21, 2014 2:46 pm

Changing the mufflers shouldn't require any carb jet changes. It's when you start to monkey around with the intake that you will have to rejet.
ImageImage

apehangers
I ride: vulcan EN500

Postby apehangers » Thu Aug 21, 2014 3:24 pm

rebeltitanfan63 wrote:hey guys i bought some slipons from j and p and they are 10 times better than them emgo slipons!!!!!! it has a non replaceble baffle but has some packing and i bet as i ride more it will only get better sounding! wish i had bought these 1st than the emgo!

Hi I'm new

What are the exhaust pipes you bought called??

Turbojoe
I ride: 2004 Vulcan 500

Postby Turbojoe » Sat Aug 23, 2014 8:33 am

apehangers wrote:
rebeltitanfan63 wrote:hey guys i bought some slipons from j and p and they are 10 times better than them emgo slipons!!!!!! it has a non replaceble baffle but has some packing and i bet as i ride more it will only get better sounding! wish i had bought these 1st than the emgo!

Hi I'm new

What are the exhaust pipes you bought called??

I found this link. http://www.jpcycles.com/2004-kawasaki-vulcan-500-lmtd-en500c9/exhaust-pipes Not terribly cheap and according to the reviews they're all pretty loud. My neighbors wouldn't approve as I leave for work early in the morning and personally I hate to ride a loud bike. Nothing more annoying than that loud drone in your ears for the entire ride. I have one original muffler that is starting to get loud so I need to start watching ebay again. That's where I found both new head pipes for good prices. Maybe I'll get lucky and fine a new stock muffler for cheap too.

Joe
The nonsensical ravings of a lunatic mind.....

2004 Vulcan 500

Triangles
Site Admin

Postby Triangles » Sat Aug 23, 2014 8:53 am

TurboJoe, not if I out bid you first! LOL j/k. I had thought half seriously about looking for newer ones on ebay.

Apehangers, With the small displacement of the engine you may not be able to achieve an exhaust note you are happy with. If you want a preview before spending money. put some ear plugs in and remove the mufflers and go for a spin around the block. This is about what you will get with an aftermarket slip on. I'm sure your neighbors will appreciate it too :)

My mufflers have gotten louder but it isn't too bothersome. like Joe I prefer a quiet ride. At freeway speeds all I hear is wind noise. Look at the exhaust rattle posts for how the inner header pipes fail after 20-25K miles and what you can do about it.
ImageImage

Turbojoe
I ride: 2004 Vulcan 500

Postby Turbojoe » Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:19 am

Yeah, after 5 years out of production this stuff is going to get harder and harder to find new and we'll all be fighting for it. Used headpipes would be a total waste of money though.

I remember a few months back on the freeway there was a guy on a Vulcan 500 with the most incredibly ear piercing mufflers I've ever heard. So annoying from behind and two lanes over that I wanted to run him into the guardrail! And I was wearing a helmet! I've heard quieter open pipe Harleys. I'm staying with stock. The B.S about wanting people ahead of you to hear you better with loud mufflers is just that. B.S. Once I was past that idiot the noise was less than half. All that racket is better heard BEHIND you. I have a loud horn to let cagers beside or in front of me know when they've made a stupid move.

Joe
The nonsensical ravings of a lunatic mind.....

2004 Vulcan 500

Triangles
Site Admin

Postby Triangles » Sun Aug 24, 2014 4:56 pm

When I got my '94 it came with one of the few aftermarket pipes/mufflers available (Jardine) and they were so loud that I had trouble hearing for almost a week after my 2.5 hour ride home and that was with a full face helmet. I even had a harley guy look over at me like WTF when I rolled up next to him on the exit ramp. Thankfully the PO had saved the stock pipes that promptly went back on.
ImageImage

Return to “Engine - Exhaust - Cooling”