2009 Vulcan 500 engine cutting out

Engine, exhaust & cooling mods or problems. If it has to do with cooling, anything within the crank case, or exhaust, it goes here.
Pocatello Vulcan
I ride: Vulcan 500 2009

2009 Vulcan 500 engine cutting out

Postby Pocatello Vulcan » Mon Oct 03, 2011 1:58 pm

:?: I just bought a new 2009 Vulcan 500 and drove it home from Pocatello Idaho (185 Miles). It ran great all the way home then that same day Saturday I started to experience momentary engine cut out for a fraction of a second. It also back fired 3 times while driving it. This morning on the way to work it cut out each time I was in first gear accelerating from a stop light. It only cut out 2 times while driving it at commuting speeds which are about 55 mph. Commute is only 10 miles. I did notice Saturday night that when I went over a sharp bump (manhole) it cut out. It doesn't stop but just lurches for a fraction of a second like I have decelerated.

Leaf
I ride: '94 Maroon Vulcan EN500-A6, '05 Black Honda CMX250C

Re: 2009 Vulcan 500 engine cutting out

Postby Leaf » Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:06 pm

This sounds like the kind of problem where I'd have to sit there and piddle with the thing for a while to figure anything out. I think it could be any number of things....

Are your kill or kickstand switches screwed up such that rapping on them causes them to make connection randomly? Fuel tank venting ok?

Pocatello Vulcan

Postby Pocatello Vulcan » Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:41 pm

It did it only one time on the way home tonight. I removed the seat and re-routed the gas vent hoses. I had read that the seat might be squashing them. I did notice that one of them had a pretty good crease in it from the seat sitting on it. We will see if this cures the problem. It love the bike. I had a Honda rebel prior to this Vulcan and it is night and day between the two. I could never go back to my Rebel.

Pocatello Vulcan

Postby Pocatello Vulcan » Tue Oct 04, 2011 12:48 pm

Big error in my last post. The last line should have read . Never go back to my Rebel.

The Rebel was a nice little bike to get back into motorcycles and get my motorcycle certificate but I outgrew it faster than I thought. I sure appreciate all the reviews and tests comparing the Vulcan 500 to other motorcycles. They were right on. Nice bike, great acceleration, beautiful handling and I love to ride it. It inspires confidence. Gotta be careful. Maybe to much confidence.

I drove it to work this morning and not one time did it cut out. I am not sure if this was because I moved the gas tank vent lines from under the seat or that my fuel tank is getting lower which allows better venting within the tank. I will fill up the tank today and let everyone know what happens. I hope it was the vent lines. :)

Triangles
Site Admin
I ride: '94 Black Cherry Vulcan 500, '06 Candyfire Red Vulcan 500 LTD

Postby Triangles » Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:41 pm

Your symptoms are identical to the loose battery terminal problem that seems to happen quite often with the Vulcan 500. If I were a betting man I'd put money on this being your problem. There is a block that is in between the battery terminals and wires. The problem is usually with the block to battery terminal connection. I believe you have to at least partially pull the battery to tighten the block connections. Be very careful as the battery terminals are very easy to snap off because they are soft lead. See http://en500.us/ Romad has a few battery terminal mods/fixes. I personally just snugged my terminals up when they came loose and haven't had a problem since, but will probably do something similar to Romad's fix when I replace the battery.

Also please make sure your posting in the appropriate forum. Thanks!
ImageImage

Triangles
Site Admin

Postby Triangles » Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:43 pm

Pocatello Vulcan wrote:Big error in my last post. The last line should have read . Never go back to my Rebel.

error fixed :D
ImageImage

Pocatello Vulcan

Postby Pocatello Vulcan » Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:07 am

Well the rerouting of the gas vent hoses seems to have done the trick. No more engine cutting out at all. I have noticed if I hold the throttle and speed steady in the middle gears the bike seems to surge slightly instead of running smooth. It isn't very pronounced but if you pay close attention you can feel this slight surging motion. It is just barely noticeable. Is this normal?

Triangles
Site Admin

Postby Triangles » Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:30 am

I don't think that's normal. However depending on how long the bike sat with gas in it before you bought it might have something to do with it. When mine hasn't been run for a long time the bike runs a little rough and has noticeably inconsistent power through out the rev range until I've put several tanks of gas thru it. I assume from the gas gumming up the carbs. Give it a few tanks of gas to see if it improves or goes away. Also if you bough the bike brand new with 0 miles, I suppose it might be normal during engine break in?
ImageImage

Triangles
Site Admin

Postby Triangles » Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:52 am

See turbojoe's response here. I felt his response about his corroded battery terminals leading to him making a Lithium ion battery merited it's own thread :)
ImageImage

Return to “Engine - Exhaust - Cooling”