LED Headlight Conversion

What's this wire for? Electrical mods, Lights, Stator, Rectifier, Diagrams & more.
AKrider
I ride: '93 Vulcan 500, '06 Honda Rebel, '81 CX 500

LED Headlight Conversion

Postby AKrider » Sun Jun 26, 2016 4:56 pm

Just installed the OPT7 FluxBeam bright white LED replacement light on Rosebud. We are currently at just under 22 hours of daylight here in the interior but my primary concern for installing it was increased visibility for other drivers. It certainly does that, it is a very bright, very white light and in addition is only 40 watts.

Installation was totally straight forward, plug and play although I got rid of the dust boot and wrapped some tape around the base to keep dust out of the lamp. I also spent a little extra time bundling and tucking wires out of the way so everything would fit nicely in the housing and not interfere with the cooling fins on the unit. So far so good, will let you know how well it lights up in the dark sometime around August.

60 bucks on amazon, about an hour of fussing, nice safety enhancement. Enough wattage savings for a set of Denali D2 s this fall and still have some power left for heated grips!
We are what we repeatedly do, excellence is a habit.

Triangles
Site Admin
I ride: '94 Black Cherry Vulcan 500, '06 Candyfire Red Vulcan 500 LTD

Re: LED Headlight Conversion

Postby Triangles » Mon Jun 27, 2016 1:21 pm

You must have read my mind. I was just going to go LED. My Chinesium HID ballasts don't last very long and I haven't been able to identify a reasonably priced quality ballast. I was looking at something like these I'd be a little concerned about the beam pattern with the OPT7 as there isn't a little deflector by the low beam LED to keep the LED light from reflecting off the bottom half of the reflector (high beam) and blinding oncoming traffic. You can see what I'm talking about by looking at the ones in my link. I don't want to be "that guy" that goes around blinding oncoming traffic.

Did you have any problem fitting it in your headlight bucket? One reason I'm looking at the one in my link is that it has the flexible braided heat sink that I hope will be no problem fitting in the headlight bucket.
ImageImage

AKrider
I ride: '93 Vulcan 500, '06 Honda Rebel, '81 CX 500

Postby AKrider » Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:09 pm

Haven't gotten back to you because snow just melted enough to make riding safe but I didn't see any issue with the brightness, had my wife ride towards me while I was in a car going the other way but I do live in the land of the midnight sun so I can't tell you what it is like in real darkness.

Had some mechanical issues in the fall and a new Transit Connect van so I wimped and never rode it in the dark.

It fit in the can just fine but I had to loose the rubber boot, others said they disassembled the light to make it fit, I just sealed it up with fusion tape.

Hope you came to a conclusion and pulled the trigger on an led without waiting for me, let us know what you went with.
We are what we repeatedly do, excellence is a habit.

Triangles
Site Admin
I ride: '94 Black Cherry Vulcan 500, '06 Candyfire Red Vulcan 500 LTD

Postby Triangles » Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:45 pm

Yeah I actually ordered a cheap pair from fleabay later the same day as my last post. The description for them was "2Pcs 20W H4 Hi/Lo 3200LM led Cree Car LED Headlight Kit Bulb Xenon White Fanless" These appear to be the same from another seller. They are 20W per bulb and supposedly 3200 lumens. I haven't bothered to measure what their wattage is yet but the bulb works pretty good. the pattern is a little odd as it's only throwing light out from the side of the "bulb" The fashion in which it is held in it's orientation is a little flimsy but I had planned on orientating it and then locking in place with some adhesive. I never got around to that and it hasn't rotated so maybe that step wasn't needed. The brightness is slightly more than a H4 halogen which is exactly what I wanted. I didn't want something that was a bazillion lumens that would burn the retinas of oncoming drivers. I've seen idiot bikers doing this and it makes us all look bad. I'll eventually use the second bulb in my Honda which conveniently also takes a H4 bulb.
ImageImage

Return to “Electrical”