96 en500c no spark

What's this wire for? Electrical mods, Lights, Stator, Rectifier, Diagrams & more.
First Vulcan
I ride: 96 Vulcan 500c, 87 Rebel 450, 14 Sportster 883

96 en500c no spark

Postby First Vulcan » Sun May 15, 2016 7:42 pm

Hello everyone I am in need of advice. I have a 96 en500c with a no spark issue. I have ohm tested my ignition coils and 1 of them tests good the other tests bad. My question is will 1 being bad cause the other not to send spark because neither is sparking or do i need to look elsewhere along with replacing the coils. If so what components are part of the sparking system and in what order do i check them.

Triangles
Site Admin
I ride: '94 Black Cherry Vulcan 500, '06 Candyfire Red Vulcan 500 LTD

Re: 96 en500c no spark

Postby Triangles » Tue May 17, 2016 7:39 am

The ignition is fairly simple on the EN500C. You have 1 VR sensor that detects "teeth" on the flywheel. This sends a signal to a little black box called the "ignitor" which then does it's magic and triggers the coils at the right time. There's no reason I can think of how one coil could affect the other. To be sure simply unplug the "bad" coil and see if you get spark out of the other. First thing I would check is that the connector is good where the wires come out of the engine near/above where the front sprocket is. Note there are two sets of wires, one from the VR sensor and the other is the alternator wires. Wait, backing up a moment, It's been a while since I've looked at the electrical diagrams. Are you sure you are getting voltage to the coils? Since I haven't looked at the wiring diagrams recently I don't know what they are but you might simply have a fuse blown somewhere. Sorry for the ADD rambling. Hope some of this is useful.

Now that I have had a min or two to think about it. I'd recommend grabbing an electrical diagram and making sure the ignitor has power where it should and that the coils have power where they should. Check all wiring connections between VR sensor > ignitor > coils. If all checks out ok but no spark then I'd grab a used ignitor off fleabay. Make sure you get one from a EN500C as the EN500A ignitors are not compatible (they use two VR sensors). Good luck and let us know what it was when you find the problem .
ImageImage

Return to “Electrical”