tach hookup

What's this wire for? Electrical mods, Lights, Stator, Rectifier, Diagrams & more.
Billis56
I ride: 08 ebony black en500 LTD

tach hookup

Postby Billis56 » Wed Apr 22, 2015 11:45 am

I have purchased an inexpensive tach. to use on my 08 en500, this might be a silly question, I understand that it is a dual fire system and I don't need an adapter, it says to hook the green wire to the neg side of the coil, but there are two, sitting on the bike looking forward, which one? does it matter which coil I use? if so why?

Triangles
Site Admin
I ride: '94 Black Cherry Vulcan 500, '06 Candyfire Red Vulcan 500 LTD

Re: tach hookup

Postby Triangles » Wed Apr 22, 2015 11:30 pm

Man I'm getting lazy in my old age.... I thought for sure I had done a how-to on this years ago. I am too lazy to go digging thru wiring diagrams right now but its easy enough without that. With the key switched to "on" and the engine not running. One of the two wires going to the ignition coil will have +12V on it. You hook the green tach wire up to the other wire since that will be the negative side of the coil. I did this write up years ago for the GZ250 forum. Look at it. Wiring the tach for the EN500 is basically the same. Oh yeah, it matters not which coil you use. Just don't do something stupid like trying to hook the tach to both coils at the same time.
ImageImage

Return to “Electrical”