Main Fuse Meltdown

What's this wire for? Electrical mods, Lights, Stator, Rectifier, Diagrams & more.
bikerbill
I ride: 1997 Vulcan 500LTD named Hidalgo

Main Fuse Meltdown

Postby bikerbill » Sun Jul 13, 2014 7:03 pm

Hey Guys.

I need a little help today. Nothing 'earth shattering' but it has me concerned nonetheless. While inspecting Hidalgo for the Colorado rally in two weeks I found the main fuse partially melted, along with the socket on the starter relay.

I have replaced the relay, fuse and main harness connector already. But what would you think would cause such a 'meltdown'?
--
'Biker' Bill
'97 EN500LTD 'Hidalgo'
269,000+ miles so far
VROC #3833
IBA #635

SlipStreamer Enterprise II, Vista Cruise,
Cobra Spots, Drifter solo seat,
Pro-Tac backrest, ScottOiler,
F&S luggage rack, LED lights,
4-gal AUX fuel tank

Triangles
Site Admin
I ride: '94 Black Cherry Vulcan 500, '06 Candyfire Red Vulcan 500 LTD

Re: Main Fuse Meltdown

Postby Triangles » Sun Jul 13, 2014 9:40 pm

The part of the fuse that blows looks mint. This tells us that you weren't drawing excessive amps. I've seen similar burned up stuff on industrial equipment. On the equipment I've worked on it is caused by a condition of high resistance in some electrical connection. For example possibly between your fuse holder and fuse. This could be caused by corrosion and or dirt. It could also be caused by a loose connection but I doubt that's what caused it in your case. The resistance in the connection causes heat when a current flows thru it. Usually the heat makes the connection worse like a vicious circle until it catches fire or melts and breaks the electrical connection. I use dielectric grease on every electrical connection I come across to prevent corrosion from causing my connections to burn up.

I'm going to guess corrosion is what caused this. Since you've replaced the fuse holder I wouldn't worry that anything else is wrong. That's my 2¢. Take it for what it's worth :D
ImageImage

Return to “Electrical”